cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sharoneweaver
Level: Power Up

Best practices for using SharePoint & Power Apps to connect to existing on-prem data

With all the changes, what is now the best practice to connect existing on-prem data to display in SharePoint for use with Power Apps without a bunch of extra charges.  For example, is there an option to pull my own data from existing SQL tables into the common data service without an additional cost?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Best practices for using SharePoint & Power Apps to connect to existing on-prem data

@sharoneweaver 

You have right idea about creating a scheduled export of your SQL data to the Common Data Service/SharePoint for use in PowerApps. There is no need to connect to SQL directly unless you need it’s features (eg higher speed, better concurrency handling, security, etc).

My suggestion would be to use MS Automate (formerly Flow) to build the workflow. If you have any questions on how to do that there are some wonderful people over in the Flow Community who would able to answer your questions. In my own general opinion this method is acceptable and would be allowed by MS if you purchase the Flow license. However, you will definitely want to talk with your MS licensing partner to confirm.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Re: Best practices for using SharePoint & Power Apps to connect to existing on-prem data

@sharoneweaver 

You have right idea about creating a scheduled export of your SQL data to the Common Data Service/SharePoint for use in PowerApps. There is no need to connect to SQL directly unless you need it’s features (eg higher speed, better concurrency handling, security, etc).

My suggestion would be to use MS Automate (formerly Flow) to build the workflow. If you have any questions on how to do that there are some wonderful people over in the Flow Community who would able to answer your questions. In my own general opinion this method is acceptable and would be allowed by MS if you purchase the Flow license. However, you will definitely want to talk with your MS licensing partner to confirm.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

sharoneweaver
Level: Power Up

Great! Thanks! I'll try this out. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,054)