cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Best practices in building PowerApps

Dear all,

In a few weeks I am giving a presentation for a group of PowerApps enthousiasts. The subjects of this presentation will be best practices in building PowerApps. I have found a variety of resources and can use my own experience to implement in this presentation.

However, I am curious if anyone in this community has some tips, tricks and best practices they apply when building a PowerApp. All suggestions are welcome, lets help each other build proper PowerApps ;).

Regards,

Erik

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Best practices in building PowerApps

Hi @Erikdebeus,

Holy Cow! Where to begin?

I would say that the two most important prerequisites for new potential user-developers to know before starting with Powerapps are that Powerapps makes databases and as such the user-developer cannot escape the principles of database design: 

• This is important regardless of the platform used and it may be too basic for your audience but it is always worth reviewing.
    • What is a table and the logic behind which data should be saved in a particular table.
    • The importance of having a primary key in every table.
    • What are Lookup tables and how are they used in designing a database.
    • Relationships between tables, particularly concentrating on the one to many relationship. 
    • https://www.datanamic.com/support/lt-dez005-introduction-db-modeling.html is a very comprehensive article on the basics of database design practices but it is not only a great overview but something the user can come back to review if they have problems developing a new database.  
  • Probably the most important prerequisite in understanding the unique features of Powerapps as a platform and why it is designed the way it is, is the concept of delegation.

It is so easy to create a new app with Powerapps, that users can do it without understanding database design and delegation.  Powerapps has many other important features but without understanding the above concepts first, new users will quickly become overwhelmed and will need a lot of support when their creations go "off the rails".   IMHO just covering these two points will consume most of your presentation.  Then you could amaze and delight the audience with how Powerapps can make an app in a minute.  Again, this may be too basic for your audience but I'm hoping that some of the new users in our forum read this and take it to heart.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the lengty response! I will apply this during the presentation, this helps a lot.

Regards,

Erik

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I couldn't agree more 😀

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,492)