cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best practices to managing Production mobile apps?

Hi,

I currently update apps by having one that is in production, and modifying another one that is the exact copy of it. 

Then when it is ready to be updated, then I replace the production version. 

Am I over complicating this? I previously had issues when I was editing the production model and users had issues when using the app. 

Also, when I replace an app with the same name. What happens to the cached data? (Collections is cached with SaveData(), and am wondering if it would be erased when I replace the app) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Yes, in my opinion you are overcomplicating it.  Changes to an app don't go out to production until you Publish the app.  Saving while working on a copy of the app will not push the changes to production.  So as long as you are careful you can continue to develop an app and only Publish it when you are ready for it to go to production.  If you want more seperation and control then I would move to using a Development and Production environment with different parallel data sources.  By putting your app in a solution you can develop it in the Development environment and then push the solution to production when you are ready.  That way you have two versions of the app without having to make copies.  Its more involved than what you are doing now, but also much more straightforward.

Yes, I would expect you will lose the locally cached data when you push out a new version of the app.  The app can't assume the saved data has the same schema in the old and new app.  But that would require testing to verify either way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Yes, in my opinion you are overcomplicating it.  Changes to an app don't go out to production until you Publish the app.  Saving while working on a copy of the app will not push the changes to production.  So as long as you are careful you can continue to develop an app and only Publish it when you are ready for it to go to production.  If you want more seperation and control then I would move to using a Development and Production environment with different parallel data sources.  By putting your app in a solution you can develop it in the Development environment and then push the solution to production when you are ready.  That way you have two versions of the app without having to make copies.  Its more involved than what you are doing now, but also much more straightforward.

Yes, I would expect you will lose the locally cached data when you push out a new version of the app.  The app can't assume the saved data has the same schema in the old and new app.  But that would require testing to verify either way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pstork1 

I tried it by working on the published app itself. What I noticed is whenever I just save (not publish the app), the update is available shows up on the app. 

I did not lose the local cached data when I overwritten the existing published app. 

To really test that you need to use a different account.  You personally will always see the latest saved version, because you are the maker.  But other people you have shared it with won't see the updated version until you publish it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,603)