cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sundry
Level: Power Up

Best way to build an app ?

Hello, 

I am an (almost) totally newbie, but I have managed to build my first efficient app, but I want to take it to the next level.

I work as a surgeon in a general hospital, and I would like to create a solution that could manage when other surgeons are away, thus freeing up space in operating rooms (one can also imagine extending this to other locations such as consultation offices that would be freed up when someone is away).

We satarted out building an Excel spreadsheet that uses one column as dates, and another column for each surgeon in my department. Other columns represent different physical locations (ORs) and are calculated when one surgeon marks "A" for the dates, adding up different freed up slots with : If(Or(And(Weekday(DateColumn;2)=1; Surgeon1Column ="A"));1;0) and so on for other days and other surgeons. A final column adds the freed up slots giving a visual on how many slots are open. When someone decides to fill up the slot, it would be rendered unavailable. Managers could also stop the slots from being filled (as when personnel is on Holidays during the summer for example)

I would like to build a Powerapp that could manage this with a friendly user interface, but have been stuck on the best way to set up and manage the database : A Sharepoint list ? A Sharepoint calendar ? Excel ? Directly through Outlook ? 

My first idea has been to create a Sharepoint list replicating the Excel spreadsheet (as one can not use formulas in Excel with Powerapps), but I feel this is not the most efficient way to start on this project, and would like to start properly without having to do it all over again if another idea is better. (I would love for example, that people could fill out their absences directly in their calendar and the slots would be freed up int the app)

I'm not sure I was perfectly clear in expressing my project, but would anybody have any ideas on how the best (and easiest) way this could be done ? 

Many thanks

1 REPLY 1
dynamicsedge
Level 8

Re: Best way to build an app ?

@sundry 

There are many approaches you could take here.

Before suggesting anything, some time passed since your original post, did any other ideas pop up on your end in the meantime?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,871)