cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
winwell
Level: Powered On

Best way to count rows based upon multiple column filter criteria

Hello,

I want to offer a user 3 optional drop downs (or filters) each one relates to a separate column in my table (Manager, Period, Region) A 4th Drop down (which will be mandatory) is a list of Skill scores (1 through 7) relating to a SKILL column in my table. So they will select a skill score and I want to count the number of rows for that skill in the SKILL column. However, they can use the 3 drop downs to filter further.  Problem is they might opt to choose any combination of the filters or none at all, leaving them at their default values.

I have tried to create some nested IF statements to CountIF the SKILL column but the code is getting huge and difficult to maintain. 

Can anyone think of a better way to acomplish this?

Thanks for any tips

2 REPLIES 2
NigelP
Level 8

Re: Best way to count rows based upon multiple column filter criteria

Hi @winwell

What about CountRows(Filter(<datasource>, ((Filter1=Filter1)  && (Filter2 = Filter2) &&(Filter3 = Filter3)))

Regards

Nigel

winwell
Level: Powered On

Re: Best way to count rows based upon multiple column filter criteria

THanks but I already tried that.

The drop downs default value is "Select" so if left to the defaults, that kind of query doesn't work.I tried checking for the selected value and if it is "Select", count all rows and if there is a selected value include that drop down as a filter criteria, but then you have to cater for the other 2 drop downs and the combinations are many.

I might have to limit the user to just 2 filters (e.g Region and Period) at a time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,943)