Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gclifford
Helper I
Helper I

Best way to handle reuseable code?

Hello,

I have a bunch of code being used repetitively in my app - an example is that I need to update a collection, clearcollection(x,y,x,y), and the formula is very long and complicated.  Currently I have this same clearcollection command copy/pasted onto many pages within the application so that it gets updated as needed.  Is there a way to wrap this into a function of some kind and then just call the function on each page so that if I ever need to update the formula for the collection I can do in a single place?

I have many other use cases like the above - this is just an example.

G

17 REPLIES 17

Hi @KrishnaV  and @mdevaney ,

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but this is something we all could use. I have been trying all sorts of things myself in the past and the hidden button on the same screen is the best I could do. As below, The toggle resets, but does not trigger the OnSelect event.

SelectToggle.gif

There is obviously something I am missing here.

@WarrenBelz @eka24 @gclifford 
I should have said OnCheck property, not OnSelect.  My apologies.

OnCheck will work here.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Hi @mdevaney ,

Sorry I got late with other work, Thank you for updating with the correct property but I am able to get with OnChange seamlessly. I am doing 3 things:
1. Setting a global variable

2. Resetting the collection

3. Sending email

Reset Toggle.gif

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help please let me know I am always happy to do it for my community.

Regards,
Krishna
If this post helps you give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help please let me know I am always happy to do it for my community.

Regards,
KrishnaV
Business Applications MVP, Microsoft Certified Trainer
Twitter | Linkedin | YouTube | GitHub
If this post helps you give a and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members / new members of the community.

@KrishnaV 
I am glad to see you got it working my friend!

Hi @gclifford ,

I hope you got the idea of how to implement the code reusability in PowerApps. 

Regards,
Krishna
If this post helps you give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Regards,
KrishnaV
Business Applications MVP, Microsoft Certified Trainer
Twitter | Linkedin | YouTube | GitHub
If this post helps you give a and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members / new members of the community.

@KrishnaV & @mdevaney ,

Yep - OnChange works perfectly on both true and false with the toggle variable.

Strange how solutions seem so obvious when you see them and so daunting when you do not . . .

Wow - thank you all for such a great response on this.  Before I start to test I want to make sure I understand fully as I am new to PowerApps.

Can I create a create a "variables" screen that holes all of these phantom toggles? The code I want to re-use is used in many screens - can I call the toggle on my variable screen from other screens?

@gclifford 

I know you can use a separate screen for phantom toggles on Chrome, Firefox and Edge.  Not sure about IE, you’d have to test that browser.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,465)