cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Blanking out fields on new form

Having a challenge with getting my dropdown and conditional dropdown fields to show blank when in New Form mode.  The others display Hint text, which is great, but there is no Hint text for dropdowns.  I'm afraid to break something if I mess around with this now, and I am on a strict timeline, so need to ask you for help - how do I make sure that in New Form mode (I use the Edit Form for both adding a new record and changing an existing one - backend is Excel for now), the dropdown fields are also empty upon accessing the form?  (I do have a blank row at top of the listings for the dropdown, BTW, but I don't think it works since it's set up for conditional, so two columns .)  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Blanking out fields on new form

@CaroleKV 

Set the Default value of the dropdown to this

Blank()

Then you  can put this code in whichever property triggers the form screen to be loaded... (e.g. OnSelect, OnStart, OnVisible)

ResetForm(your_form_name);
NewForm(your_form_name);

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up." 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@CaroleKV 

Set the Default value of the dropdown to this

Blank()

Then you  can put this code in whichever property triggers the form screen to be loaded... (e.g. OnSelect, OnStart, OnVisible)

ResetForm(your_form_name);
NewForm(your_form_name);

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up." 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

What @mdevaney  has suggested will work to clear the dropdown.

This isn't really answering your original question and I may be preempting a problem that doesn't exist.

Do you want the user to be able to select a blank option in dropdowns i.e to clear an existing selection when in edit mode? If so you will need to set AllowEmptySelection property to true.

If there isn't a blank option in your data source you could amend the items property of your dropdown to include an empty value by adding the dropdown source to a collection with an empty value as follows...

ClearCollect(colDropdownItems,
// existing dropdown source

),
{Column: ""} // this would be your blank option
);
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Users should always select something and never just blank it out, I just want it blank to begin with, so they don't accidentally just leave it set to the wrong selection.  Thanks!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,901)