cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timur
Frequent Visitor

Bug - Collect function cannot collect filtered SharePoint list

Everything worked fine before, but now the function Collect returns an error 'Incompatible Type' if I try to collect a table:

Collect(Collection; Filter(SharepointList; series = value))

In the documentation Collect function can collect a table, and it worked until now. But in the new version of PowerApps plateform, the error is returned.

is it a bug? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Timur
Frequent Visitor

I have found a solution. I used ShowColumns function to select only specific columns.

I think the problem was tat not all Sharepoint list data types are compatible with PowerApps.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@Timur 

I have received the error message "incompatible type" several times.  It means that the app tried to put some data into a column with the wrong data type (example: number into a text field).

You can only have one of the following types of data in the same column

• Text
  • Number
  • Date
  • Boolean (true/false)
  • Table or Record with matching columns and data types

If you are unable to detect what column is causing the problem please share some screenshots and code that could help me replicate your situation.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Timur
Frequent Visitor

I have found a solution. I used ShowColumns function to select only specific columns.

I think the problem was tat not all Sharepoint list data types are compatible with PowerApps.  

View solution in original post

@Timur 

I disagree.  PowerApps can handle all SharePoint data types.  I think you have just eliminated the columns where there was a conflict.

Using SHOWCOLUMNS to eliminate the problem is a great idea that solves the problem. But I wanted to make sure you are not misunderstanding how PowerApps is working.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Timur
Frequent Visitor

@mdevaney 

So, you mean that SharePoint list data can be inconsistent and PowerApps cannot handle these columns?

I see your point.

Maybe it should be fixed somehow by Microsoft 🙂

Thanks

@Timur 

I can see why you would think of it as a "bug" but actually it has a good purpose.  Keeping the data consistent is important for "data operations".

For example: lets say that you have 2 columns of numbers.  These columns should be added together in a 3rd column.  Now lets say a text value gets added to one of the number column.  How should PowerApps handle the addition of Text + Number?  It doesn't make any logical sense.

I think this is a good "feature" that prevents us from making silly mistakes.

---

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,725)