cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate V
Advocate V

[Bug] Copy/paste of component across apps results in error

I know components are still marked as 'experimental feature', but thought I should report this issue in case it's not known.

I attempted copying a bunch of controls from one app to another, but then the editor crashed with an error message and the session was aborted. Diving into it further, I noticed the cause of this was the custom component in my copied selection.

What I did (stripped down version): 

• Create a canvas app and enable Components feature
  • Import components from another app (let's call that the source app)
  • Copy some controls from the source app, including a specific component control
  • Paste into the new app

Then it gave me the error.

Now when I tried to reproduce this it seems as though it doesn't ALWAYS go wrong, but I'm not exactly sure what the cause is.

I've attached two short video captures in a zip file that show the error.

In the first video, you can see me copy/pasting a component in an otherwise empty app. First, this succeeds, but after I delete the control and paste it again, the error occurs.

In the second video, I first import the components from a source app, then attempt to paste a component control into the app and it immediately crashes.

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @MrNappa 

Yes, I have faced the similar issue before. I guess that the problem occurs due to the way a component is bind to the application, if you just do a copy paste, the bindings are not done properly, which results into errors. I would recommend you to add/import the components from scratch. This feature is currently in Preview so there is not much customization we can do from our side.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is the right channel to report these issues but it's the only place I have.

Actually, as far as I could see it seems as though the copy/paste works correctly if the component in question does not exist in the copy target app yet. The paste action will then create the component in the target app AND paste the copied control to the screen. But if the component already exists, the crash occurs(*).

(*)=this behavior is not always consistent however, I've also seen multiple copies succeed, where each paste would create a (duplicate) component in the target

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue, but thanks for reporting it!

Would you mind grabbing us a session id from a session where this crash occurs?

You should be able to find the session id in the crash dialog. If not, you can find the session id for your session before the crash following these directions:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/get-sessionid#when-editing-an-app

EDIT: never mind, I was able to get the session ids from the videos. We're looking into it. 🙂

Thanks,

- Paul C.
Software Engineer on PowerApps

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (42,807)