cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mr-dang
Level 10

Bug: Microphone disabled in Edge

I have an app where users can record and playback audio using controls. When the app launches in a browser, the app asks if you want to allow Microphone input like usual. Both Chrome and Edge ask that, and I click okay.

In Chrome, I am able to record; and if I want to switch microphone input source, I can do so with the button in the address bar in Chrome.

In Edge, even when I click okay to allow the Microphone at the start, my Microphone control is still disabled. Sadly, I think this is a limitation of Edge. I am not able to find any settings in Edge that allow or disable audio. Can someone help me?

2017-02-18.png

My users only use Chrome, so it's not too big a deal, but if the app's microphone doesn't work for Edge, it also doesn't work for my Windows Phone via the app either. 

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft Chen
Microsoft

Re: Bug: Microphone disabled in Edge

Hey mr-dang 

Thanks for reporting the bug 

Yes, Microphone does not work on Edge now, there should be a warning banner showed on the top of your browser when you have a microphone control in your app.

We have recently made microphone work on Windows phone. You are expected to see it working in our release on March 3rd.

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Mr-dang,

Thanks for testing and reporting.
I will try report this issue from my side, and involve someone who is familiar with it to take a further investigation.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mr-dang
Level 10

I ran some more tests. It seems to be a limitation of the browser. 

Original results

• Win 10 + Chrome + regular tab: works
  • Win 10 + Chrome + incognito tab: works
  • Win 10 + Edge + regular tab: disabled
  • Win 10 + Edge + InPrivate tab: disabled

New tests

• Teacher Chromebook + ChromeOS + Chrome + regular tab: works
  • Teacher Chromebook + ChromeOS + Chrome + incognito tab: works
  • Student Chromebook + ChromeOS + Chrome + regular tab + staff WiFi: disabled
  • Student Chromebook + ChromeOS + Chrome + incognito tab + staff WiFi: disabled
  • Student Chromebook + ChromeOS + Chrome + regular tab + student WiFi: disabled
  • Student Chromebook + ChromeOS + Chrome + incognito tab + student WiFi: disabled

My teacher Chromebook was re-imaged to a newer version of ChromeOS, but the student Chromebook is on an older one for capability issues.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Level 10

I tested if my problem was that the browser was selecting the wrong microphone input. So I put in two buttons to cycle through different microphone numbers [0, 1, 2, 3, etc.]. This is the same idea as swapping camera input for a camera control. It was worth a shot.

• Chrome: still works. Cycling through microphone inputs does not seem to work though. When I increase or decrease it from 0, the browser still records from the default. I think this is because Chrome overrides that control in PowerApps.
  • Edge: The microphone icon does not appear as disabled. I can click the record button and it will change to a Stop button. However, it is not recording even when cycling through microphone inputs.

2017-02-22.png

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Microsoft Chen
Microsoft

Hey mr-dang 

Thanks for reporting the bug 

Yes, Microphone does not work on Edge now, there should be a warning banner showed on the top of your browser when you have a microphone control in your app.

We have recently made microphone work on Windows phone. You are expected to see it working in our release on March 3rd.

Thanks

View solution in original post

mr-dang
Level 10

@Chen

I can confirm that the microphone works in Windows 10 Mobile. Thank you.

Is there an update on getting the microphone working in Edge? I can confirm that the microphone is not working in Edge and no banner had popped up.

Chrome is working okay, but I will be posting an idea on this forum to create a way to disable the microphone when not in use, since there is not a way to disable it like you can the camera at this time.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
DictationPad
Level: Power Up

I second this. Microphone input doesn't work.

Even something like the Bing Speech API doesn't work, which can be tested here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services/speech/

Works fine in Chrome and Firefox.

aland1476
Level: Power Up

Its April 3 and the microphone is still disabled. Any work arounds?

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,908)