cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

Bug?: Nesting gallery limit

I have an old app that has a gallery nested in another gallery which is nested in another--3 levels of galleries.

To do this, I follow these steps:

1. I create one gallery, put in a dummy object.
  2. I can't directly create one gallery inside another, so what I have to do next is create another gallery and cut it.
  3. Then I click on the dummy object to be "inside" the gallery, then I can properly paste one gallery inside another gallery.
  4. I repeat the steps for the next level of nesting.

I am not able to create 3 levels of galleries in the latest version. When I try to paste in the third level gallery, PowerApps will not paste. It seems to try, and then it reverts to selecting the active Screen in the lefthand panel, but nothing is pasted.

To be exact, I cannot copy objects from one gallery to paste into the second level of gallery very easily. After experimenting, I found that I need to do these steps:

1. Cut the object from one gallery
  2. Paste it on the screen so it's not nested in anything--it can't be nested yet.
  3. Cut the object now that it is not nested in anything.
  4. Paste it into the second gallery.
  5. This only works for objects that are not galleries, but it is inconsistent.

I believe it is a bug in pasting. Or has this been discontinued?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@CarlosFigueira,

Thank you for replying. I have devised a solution. I took an existing 3-tier gallery, emptied out its contents and pasted it where needed. It works!

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

I made a video to show this exact bug to make it clearer:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0iHNZhZKR6YRGYxUTFGemVLMGM

Have nested galleries been capped at two levels?

Note: I did the test for galleries within a canvas and outside a canvas and could still only get 2 levels of galleries.

Note 2: The same behavior also occurs when editing the app in a browser. It is not possible to get 3 levels of galleries.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

I tried playing around with the numbers and thought if adding 1 gallery into 2 didn't work, then maybe adding 2 into 1 could. This did not work either.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
CarlosFigueira
Power Apps
Power Apps

Galleries have always been limited to 2-levels of nesting - you can add a gallery inside another gallery (e.g., a vertical gallery inside a horizontal one), but you cannot add a third level of nesting (where you'd have a gallery inside a gallery inside a gallery). That has always been forbidden when you used the insert tab (if you tried to insert another gallery inside the second level one, I believe it would be placed as a child of the screen itself).

What you're describing is probably a bug that has been fixed - if you could before paste a gallery inside a "level-2" gallery, then the app it would reach a state that PowerApps doesn't expect, and the behavior at this point is unpredictable (it could work, but it has never been tested).

If you feel that this is a scenario that we need to support, could you create a new issue in the PowerApps Ideas page, with more details about the scenario, so that we can plan accordingly? Thanks!

@CarlosFigueira,

Thank you for replying. I have devised a solution. I took an existing 3-tier gallery, emptied out its contents and pasted it where needed. It works!

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

While I'm glad that you were able to get this scenario to work, this is really unsupported - we had prevented users from adding a 3-level gallery for a reason. I don't know if the apps that you build with it will continue working, so use at your own risk 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,140)