cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Bug: Production Apps broken by Explicit Column Selection behaviour change

This morning I have discovered that a number of my production apps are broken despite not having been recently modified / re-published. Specifically some data fields are no longer populating.

The issue appears to be a backend change to the implementation of the 'Explicit Column Selection' feature whereby some fields that were previously returned no longer return data. To make matters worse, the feature is behaving differently between Studio and Player (so the fields are returned in Studio but not in Player making diagnosis that bit more difficult).

If I turn off 'Explicit Column Selection' and republish (making no other changes) the Apps work again as they did prior to this morning.

I appreciate that 'Explicit Column Selection' is a Preview feature, but changes in behaviour must be limited to new / re-published Apps. Changing the behaviour (and breaking) published Apps is not acceptable. Developers and businesses must be able to have some confidence that their production Apps will not just arbitrarily break or they will lose confidence in the platform for all but the most trivial / unimportant of use-cases.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Update: I had a screen-sharing with MS where I demonstrated the issue and provided some Performance Monitor sessions and App source code. The explicit column selection feature is clearly not working correctly and I hope to hear back from them once they have investigated.

In my case the behaviour of existing published apps was changed (i.e. working apps were broken without me having (re)published anything new).

If you are having issues with data not appearing when playing apps (though it may still appear when you are working in Studio) I recommend turning this feature off to see if it resolves the problem.

Community Support
Community Support

Hello @PaulD1 ,

Thank you for the update and suggesting the workaround.

We will continue with the investigation but until then please disable the "Explicit Column Selection" setting.

If you would like to track the issue, please do open a support ticket for this.

Thanks and Regards,

Vikas K

It does not work for me too - mobile apps do not show the same data as Studio or Run in browser -

Components and functions do not run properly when they get DataGotFromFlow.specificTextValue as a parameter unfortunately. It worked before but no longer works after apps update.

Explicit Column Selection did not work
@vikulkar @PaulD1 

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (81,063)