cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Bug with Nested Galleries? Height Limit?

Currently, a Gallery nested inside of a Flexible Height Gallery is being cut-off unexpectedly.

Information on the Galleries

I have a Flexible Height Gallery called Gallery_Categories. The Items for Gallery_Categories are a Collection grouped by a category field:

SortByColumns(GroupBy(varQuestions, "Category", "CategoryQuestions"), "Category")

This Flexible Height Gallery contains three controls: two Text Labels (the question count and the category), and a Gallery:

denglish_0-1597269799451.png

The nested Gallery is called Gallery_Questions. The items for this Gallery are the sorted Group Table from the parent items:

Sort(ThisItem.CategoryQuestions, Question.Value)

The TemplateHeight is 301 and the Height is set to a count of the items multiplied by the TemplateHeight:

CountRows(ThisItem.CategoryQuestions) * Self.TemplateHeight

In the specific case I am troubleshooting, the nested gallery has 82 items in it, though it seems to break whenever the gallery exceeds 16 items. Around a height of 5,000.

Information on the Problem

image.png The height is properly calculated as 24682, but only the first 16.5 items can be seen, which is around 5,000. Is there some sort of limit on the height of a Template within a Flexible Height Gallery?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Thanks, @GarethPrisk! I think you're insights on nested galleries are valuable. In a vast majority of our use-cases, the child gallery has less than five items. The nesting was implemented to visually group and label questions of the same category. Of course, since we've given the users the ability to very flexibly configure their own Audit experience, we've seen some expectedly unexpected setups.. like an audit with 82 questions of all the same category.

For now, I have implemented a temporary solution that sets the height of the child gallery to:

Min(CountRows(ThisItem.CategoryQuestions) * Self.TemplateHeight, 5000)

I'm sure there will be a better solution down the road, if we want to give a better experience to these outlier cases.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

I am not aware of flexible height limits, but I can test it with a sample app and some Sequence based tables to see what the limits are. I don't doubt they exist, but will be good to see if it's the same as what you've observed.

That being said, is there an advantage to having a vertical gallery within a vertical gallery, especially in what looks like a mobile form factor with a relatively large TemplateHeight? I think you may be better off directing the user to another screen/gallery which is based on the parent. If one of your child galleries has 82 items, then it may not be a great UX to be scrolling through that many records. Plus, you can only search/filter effectively at the parent level.

Don't get me wrong, we do this all the time in our apps. We usually mix a horizontal in a vertical parent, if mobile oriented, or know that the child set will only be a certain number of manageable records. Otherwise, users almost always prefer to search against the child records, or for a parent and then they review the children separately. Food for thought!

Highlighted

Well done, @denglish - it does appear to have exactly a 5000 pixel limit.

The attached application, which you can run by going to https://us.create.powerapps.com/studio/ and selecting Open from file, confirms it.

It has a few basic inputs to sequence a parent gallery rows, the child gallery row count, and the child gallery template height. At exactly 50 child records and 100 pixel height, things start to get limited. What is interesting is that the child gallery height stops, but the actual rows do not. You can see them overlapping into the next row. Hmmmmmm 🤔

Highlighted

Oops, should have added a screenshot. See below.

Rows overlapping in flexible height gallery, with expanding child gallery.Rows overlapping in flexible height gallery, with expanding child gallery.

Also, I forgot to remove a Reset function for the OnChange of one of those controls. Throws a minor error.

Highlighted

Thanks, @GarethPrisk! I think you're insights on nested galleries are valuable. In a vast majority of our use-cases, the child gallery has less than five items. The nesting was implemented to visually group and label questions of the same category. Of course, since we've given the users the ability to very flexibly configure their own Audit experience, we've seen some expectedly unexpected setups.. like an audit with 82 questions of all the same category.

For now, I have implemented a temporary solution that sets the height of the child gallery to:

Min(CountRows(ThisItem.CategoryQuestions) * Self.TemplateHeight, 5000)

I'm sure there will be a better solution down the road, if we want to give a better experience to these outlier cases.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,482)