Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

Building a Quiz from Excel

Hello

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but,

If I use data in an excel file on Onedrive to build a Quiz App, do all users of that app need access to the excel file? I don't want the students to have access the answers!! What do other people do in this case?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Bulding a Quiz from Excel

Hi @Englishweb 

No, it's not a stupid question 🙂

In answer to your question, yes, all users of the app need access to the Excel file.

With an Excel data source, you can import your spreadsheet as static data through the View > Data sources menu. This way, your users won't have direct access to the spreadsheet and won't be able to see the answers. The disadvantage is that you'd need to republish your app each time your questions change.

Another method is to store the answers outside of the app and to use Flow or some other external process to score your answers outside of PowerApps. However, this method would involve more work.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Englishweb 

No, it's not a stupid question 🙂

In answer to your question, yes, all users of the app need access to the Excel file.

With an Excel data source, you can import your spreadsheet as static data through the View > Data sources menu. This way, your users won't have direct access to the spreadsheet and won't be able to see the answers. The disadvantage is that you'd need to republish your app each time your questions change.

Another method is to store the answers outside of the app and to use Flow or some other external process to score your answers outside of PowerApps. However, this method would involve more work.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

@timl 

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll go for the static data through the View data sources menu, as republishing the app is very quick and straightforward. Perhaps a SP list would be a better option than an Excel file for the quiz data?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Englishweb 

Glad to be of help. I think if you need to frequently change your questions and answers, SharePoint is possibly a better option. However, you would have the same problem in that the end users could connect to the SharePoint list outside your app and see the answers. Therefore, there would be some work involved in hiding/securing the list from users.

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

Re: Building a Quiz from Excel

@timl 

Thanks for the info, could you explain how I could hide/secure the questions and answers from users please?

I would like to use Powerapps (rather than Microsoft forms) for building tests, due to the import restriction in Microsoft forms. 

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

@timl 

Just an idea! Are collections a secure way to hold question/answer data?

What about importing questions from a datasource into a Collection, for use in the App? Would this restrict user access to the questions/answers?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Englishweb 

The problem with collections is that provide in-memory storage. When a user closes an app, the contents of a collection will be cleared. To populate a collection from a data source when the app, the user would still need access to the source data. Therefore, the problem still remains that user can view the answers from the source data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Come join us today! Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,130)