cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Building an App to get Excel row data, present it, and then update the row. Possible?

Hi all,

Title, basically.

I currently have an Excel file, with a table full of information. I want to build an app that firstly uses a search function to find row data based on the value i enter, present various cell data as the search results, and then allow me to edit a corresponding cell in the same row.

PowerApps itself will not connect to an Excel file, and i really do not want to transition to using Lists just to do this as my Excel file is attached, at this point, to probably 10 other flows.

Can i use Power Automate alongside Power Apps to make this work in the way i want? Essentially, from what i gather, Power Apps will be the face of the operation, while Power Automate will be the brains in the background. But is that possible?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @JacksonHydro ,

Of course it is possible with a small condition. Put your Excel file in OneDrive from Bussiness and use this connector to access the Excel File.

that firstly uses a search function to find row data based on the value i enter,

This can be achieved with one textinput control and the OnChange property of it. Set OnChange property to something similar to:

Set(mySearchedRow,LookUp(yourExcelFile, searchedColumn=TextInput.Text));ResetForm(MyForm);EditForm(MyForm)

present various cell data as the search results, and then allow me to edit a corresponding cell in the same row.

Use a form in edit mode set as following:

DataSource: yourExcelFile

Item: mySearchedRow

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply @gabibalaban 

I can't save the file on a OneDrive folder, unfortunately, as it's saved in our business Sharepoint which all employees have access to. It needs to be in the Sharepoint folder, a OneDrive folder just doesn't work for us.

Is it not possible to have a Power Automate Flow do all the running around, while i just use search/text boxes and press buttons on Power Apps that trigger the flows?

Highlighted

@JacksonHydro ,

It is probably possible using Power Automate with the Excel Online (Business) connector. This however is a Premium Connector and all users would need a Per User license (in addition to anything current).

Otherwise, you need to take @gabibalaban 's advice and store it in OneDrive as this is the only way Power Apps can connect to a table in it.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,845)