cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tapper
Frequent Visitor

Bulk Import Data into Canvas App

Hi guys, 

After hours of research, I have found that PowerApps isn't capable of importing data from an excel file, located on a user's local machine and push into a collection. 

So I have started looking into importing the data via copy-paste into a text input and then split the data, delimited by tab.

My First question would be, is this the best way to bulk import data into a Canvas app? And if it is, could anyone help me with splitting the data and storing it as a collection?

example Data:

Channel ID Local SKU Description Sales Date Qty Value Cust No Cust Name
first_UK 2451 REMSIMA PDR CONC SOL INF 100MG 31/07/2019 28511
second_UK 09003 TRUXIMA SOL INF VIAL 500MG/50ML 31/07/2019 21451

Thanks 

Steve

5 REPLIES 5
eka24
Super User
Super User

You can actually import Data in your Excel from your local machine. All you need to do is 

1. Convert your Data into Excel Table, note your Excel Table name

2. In your Powerapps, GoTo View ... Datasource connection.... import Excel

3. select the file then the Table.

4. You can then create a collection with it.

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

tapper
Frequent Visitor

Hi @eka24, Thanks for the quick response. 

sorry I should have been clearer. The end-user will be importing the data via a canvas app. 

I was hoping to be able to add an 'import' button, which the end-user can select the locally stored Excel file, which then uploads into the app into a collection. Which in turn can then be presented within a gallery before submitting into a database. 

I've attached a copy of the canvas app, if that helps.

Sorry about that, I believe my other colleagues on the platform would help.

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tapper Do you have any solution in this topic? I have same pain as you 

rubin_boer
Super User
Super User

hi there @tapper and @Anonymous 

Uploading bulk is best by doing as @eka24 explained.

If this is not a once-off and you need this feature in the app, may I suggest you:

• Use a form to upload the file to a SharePoint library and
  • create a flow to extract the data and populate your list or database when a new file is added or updated based on your requirement
  • have the app display the data (connect to the datasource which was just updated) in an Edit view which will allow the user to edit the data if necessary.

There are a ton of resources how to extract data from Excel to SharePoint with power automate but if you need a hand with that, we can get into that.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,968)