cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OttarLM
Regular Visitor

Bulk renaming photo files

Hi all,

Me and my colleagues work with ships inspections and through this work we gather a lot of photos, photos often tell a better story than words.

Now that we have started using Teams, SharePoint and MS 365, we see that it is potential to be a bit smarter in our storage and organizing of the photos we gathers.

I hope now that you can give me som good advice on how to build a Flow or PowerApp similar to what I write below.

Beer in mind that not everyone in our team is as tech-savvy as other.

User: Upload photos to a specific folder in SP (Photos Import Folder)

User: Fills in a MS Form

• Date of photos taken (Only one day's photos will be uploaded at a time.  This, as the date stamp on photos not always correspond to reality)
  • Vessel Name
  • One main key word from inspection
  • Otherkey word from inspection

Flow: Rename files "YYYYMMDD_indexNO_VesselName_MainKeyWord"   (Example: 20200411_1_Osprey_Engine).

Flow: copy or moves files from "Photos Import Folder" to SP Photos Library.

Flow: Fill in column for Vessel Name in SP Photos Library.

Flow: Adds main key word and other key words as tags to all files.

Flow: Delete remaining files from "Photos Import Folder".

Flow: Sender user confirmation of job done.

Thank you in advance for your good advice and tips

@RandyHayes  😀

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @OttarLM ,

For "Time out error" within "Apply to each" action, please go to the "Settings" option of the "Apply to each" action, then enable "Concurrency Control" option, then change the "Degree of Parallelism" option to maximum value -- 50 as below:

22.JPG

21.JPG

then save your flow, try it again, check if the issue is solved.

More details about how to use expression in flow actions, please check the following blog:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/use-expressions-in-actions/

If the solution I provided above could help in your scenario, please go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
yashag2255
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @OttarLM 

If the users are all in your organization, you can enable attachments on forms and the users can directly upload it on the form. You can follow my post here to understand how attachments and forms work with Power Automate. https://www.bythedevs.com/post/working-with-files-on-ms-forms-in-ms-power-automate

Once you get the attachment, you can create a new file with it and name it as you like and that should be it. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Thanks for the quick reply @yashag2255 ,

MS Form´s is a great tool for register manual input.

I plan to insert the above abovementioned fonder (Photo import folder) and the MS Form on a SP Page, with surrounding explanatory text.

I see that my Form have a limitations of 10 uploaded files at a time, unfortunately, this will not be enough.

Do you have any good tips on how I should build a suitable Flow?

yashag2255
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @OttarLM 

Sure. So you can get the form filled and then use action to list files in a folder. And then add the rename action (available in OneDrive only) and for SharePoint, get content of each file, create a new folder and then create a new file for each file that was listed by adding a new name and then finally delete the files from the main folder. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OttarLM ,

Do you use Microsoft Forms to collect your data?

How do you upload photos to specific folder in your SP Library?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I afraid that there is no easy solution to achieve your needs. As an direct solution, you could consider set up a SP List to collect user's entry. Within this SP List, you should contain the following fields:

- Date of photos taken
 - Vessel Name
 - One main key word from inspection
 - Otherkey word from inspection

Then you could generate an app based on this SP List, and then go to the Edit form, enable the "Attachments" field, then you could use the Attachments control to upload files as attachments of submitted SP List record.

Within your Power Automate flow, you just need to add a "When an item is created or modified" trigger or "When an item is created" trigger  of SP connector.  Then you could use the "Get attachments" action to get the attached files of current submitted List Item record. You may need to apply a "Apply to each" action to the Output result from the "Get attachments" action. Within the "Apply to each" action, add a "Get attachment content" action to get the attachment file content. Then add a "Create file" action to create a file in your SP Library

6.JPG

Please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Note: The "When an item is created" trigger would be fired when a new item is created in your SP List.

More details about expression supported in Power Automate flow, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/logic-apps/workflow-definition-language-functions-reference

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xida-msft

Thank you so much for your solutions. I definitely think we are on the right track here.

Using SP List with columns works good and it is probably the way to go. 👍

Unfortunately I did not get my Flow two to work.

• When it came to the step for "Apply to Each" I got a time out error.
  • Unfortunately, I am not skilled in using expressions, so I didn't manage to set up a increasing index number.

See attached screenshot.

Hi @OttarLM ,

For "Time out error" within "Apply to each" action, please go to the "Settings" option of the "Apply to each" action, then enable "Concurrency Control" option, then change the "Degree of Parallelism" option to maximum value -- 50 as below:

22.JPG

21.JPG

then save your flow, try it again, check if the issue is solved.

More details about how to use expression in flow actions, please check the following blog:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/use-expressions-in-actions/

If the solution I provided above could help in your scenario, please go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (51,505)