cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SG1990-2
Helper II
Helper II

Button to extract data from excel file that automatically adds data to existing dataset.

Hi, I am trying to find a solution to allow an end user of my app to upload data from an excel template, to an existing dataset using a powerapps  button or an attachment control.

The excel document template has the following columns headings, which are the same as the online dataset:

Product ID, Product Name, Price, Quantity, Total

Each day the end user will create a new excel document of the items of that day that will need to be uploaded each day.

My goal is to have a button in an app that allows the user to press a button, find the excel file from the day, and adds the data from the excel to the online dataset.

Can anyone advise me how to do this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SG1990-2 

You will not be able to do this in PowerApps as it does not interact with the file system like that and then process files.

You have really a couple of options:

1) Have users cut and paste the Excel table into your App

2) Utilize PowerAutomate to pick up the file from a common location and then process the records into a master list.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SG1990-2 

You will not be able to do this in PowerApps as it does not interact with the file system like that and then process files.

You have really a couple of options:

1) Have users cut and paste the Excel table into your App

2) Utilize PowerAutomate to pick up the file from a common location and then process the records into a master list.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
SG1990-2
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (2,402)