cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SG1990-2
Helper II
Helper II

Button to extract data from excel file that automatically adds data to existing dataset.

Hi, I am trying to find a solution to allow an end user of my app to upload data from an excel template, to an existing dataset using a powerapps  button or an attachment control.

The excel document template has the following columns headings, which are the same as the online dataset:

Product ID, Product Name, Price, Quantity, Total

Each day the end user will create a new excel document of the items of that day that will need to be uploaded each day.

My goal is to have a button in an app that allows the user to press a button, find the excel file from the day, and adds the data from the excel to the online dataset.

Can anyone advise me how to do this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SG1990-2 

You will not be able to do this in PowerApps as it does not interact with the file system like that and then process files.

You have really a couple of options:

1) Have users cut and paste the Excel table into your App

2) Utilize PowerAutomate to pick up the file from a common location and then process the records into a master list.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SG1990-2 

You will not be able to do this in PowerApps as it does not interact with the file system like that and then process files.

You have really a couple of options:

1) Have users cut and paste the Excel table into your App

2) Utilize PowerAutomate to pick up the file from a common location and then process the records into a master list.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
SG1990-2
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,866)