Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

CRUD operation fails for OneDrive for Business Excel - Help Please

Hello;

I have created a simple app getting its data from and excel spread sheet stored on OneDrive for Business.

I can perform all CRUD optionations using the PowerApps App.

My co-worker who has been given "Can Edit" permissions on the excel file and folder can view existing data,  He can not create, update or delete.

Any hits where to add more permissions or any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Gerry

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi GerryWhitworth,

Do your shared user can run the app but cannot customize the app? Do your shared user also have a subscription for OneDrive for Business? What error message does he get when he using the app?

You said that you have given your shared user “can edit” permission on Excel file and folder, what permission level do you specify for the app?

Hope this article about sharing an app could be a reference for you:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/share-app/

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

Shared user can run and customize App.

Shared user have subscription to OneDrive and can edit Excel Spreadsheet.

No error message, user can view existing data, they can not add, update or delete data.

I have given them can edit permission in OneDrive also share App with them with can edit permission.

Thanks

Gerry

Highlighted

Here are the permission details for this simple app that does not allow my users to add,update and delete.  By the way, I have no problems performing CRUD operations using the App.  User can also edit and save data directly on the excel spreadsheet.

PowerApps Permissions

PowerAppShare1.PNGPowerAppShare2.PNG

OneDrive Permissions

OneDriveShare2.PNGOneDriveShare3.PNGOneDriveShare4.PNGOneDriveShare5.PNGOneDriveShare6.PNG

Excel Sharing Permissions

OneDriveShare7.PNG

Hopefully this is enough information.

Cheers

Gerry

Highlighted

I added text fields to the form so I can see the error message returned.  This error message is displayed after the SubmitForm() funciton is called.  

3D1925DD.PNG

I wonder if these permission issues have something to do with my companies 365 subscription

Here is what mine looks like:

CaptureSubscription.PNG

BTW:  I created a sharepoint list on my Online account.  Then I tried to create a PowerApps applicaiton from the list:

Here are the error screen shots:

Choose Create PowerApp based on listChoose Create PowerApp based on listName PowerApps thingName PowerApps thingLittle ErrorLittle ErrorBig ErrorBig Error

Highlighted

Hi GerryWhitworth,

About the error message “The specified record was not found”. Please make sure the Excel file on OneDrive for Business is closed when you submit data.

About your second problem, I try to create an app from SharePoint Online list in Edge, IE, Chrome, I don’t get any error message, the app can be created properly. Which browser are you using? Please try to create an app from SharePoint Online list in browser to see if you are still getting this error message.

Please feel free reply.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

Thanks Mabel;

Your comment "Please make sure the Excel file on OneDrive for Business is closed", I assume you mean that the Excel Program does not have the OneDrive for Business version of the spreadsheet open?  If this is the case, I can say for certain that the excel program is closed while preforming the test.

I feel like this is a permission problem.

About SharePoint, I went to the administrators this morning and they gave me the permissions to create a site collection.  The difference here is

The site that works has a URL like this:

https://nameofmycompany.sharepoint.com/sites/MyName/Lists/Lot/AllItems.aspx 

The site that does not work as a URL like this:

https://nameofmycompany-my.sharepoint.com/personal/myname_mycompanyname_com/PowerAppsData/Lists/NameTest/AllItems.aspx

The difference above is the -my.sharepoint.com.

Again, this seems like a permission issue.

The million dollar question is how to fix this?

Cheers

Gerry

Highlighted

I am also facing the same problem where none of the other users are able to write to an excel file hosted in the onedrive for business through a PowerApp. I have given contributer privileges to the user in powerapps and also given the edit privs in excel. But still the user gets the error with error message as "The specified record is not found" with error code "7". However, I am able to perform the CRUD operations.

Highlighted

Hi GerryWhitworth,

I am not sure why you are using this site URL: https://nameofmycompany-my.sharepoint.com/personal/myname_mycompanyname_com/PowerAppsData/Lists/Name.... I guess this is the URL for your OneDrive for Business. Do you want to create an app based on SharePoint?

When we create an app based on SharePoint, we are asked to enter the Site URL, it should look like this: https://nameofmycompany.sharepoint.com/sites/MyName. When we create an app based on OneDrive for Business, we don’t need to enter any URL, just make sure you have created a connection with OneDrive for Business.

About the issue that your shared users cannot create, update or delete the app with the error message “the specific record was not found”, I will also involve others for further investigation.

Thanks for your feedback and patience.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Highlighted

The SharePoint solution is my work around until someone can tell me why my users can not edit excel spreadsheet stored on my OneDrive for Business.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,274)