cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewValenzuel
Advocate II
Advocate II

CSV, Inventory App and SharePoint list.

I want to build an inventory system, and use SharePoint as the database.  But I don't want to enter multiples of the same item.  Many of our items go to multiple models of machines.  

Would it be possible to separate the compatible models in one cell by a "," in the SharePoint list.  And then separate them as individual items in the powerapp?

IDPart NumberCompatible Models
1AAA1

Model 1,

Model 2,

2BBB2

Model 2,

Model 3,

3CCC3

Model 1,

Model 2,

Model 3

My end goal is to enable the powerapp to be able to:

*search by ID

*search by Part Number, and show all compatible models

*search by Model, and show all compatible Part Numbers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @AndrewValenzuel 

What you propose to do would create a poor design for a database.  You are describing a many to many relationship between parts and models (One part can be in Many models, One model can contain Many parts)  I would suggest 3 lists, one for parts, one for models and one for compatibility.  To see how that works in PowerApps check out my series on relational database design in PowerApps. https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/News-Announcements/Relational-Database-Principles-and-PowerApps-... 

compatibility.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @AndrewValenzuel 

What you propose to do would create a poor design for a database.  You are describing a many to many relationship between parts and models (One part can be in Many models, One model can contain Many parts)  I would suggest 3 lists, one for parts, one for models and one for compatibility.  To see how that works in PowerApps check out my series on relational database design in PowerApps. https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/News-Announcements/Relational-Database-Principles-and-PowerApps-... 

compatibility.png

View solution in original post

Thank you for this idea.  I have an app setup for tracking tickets that uses one-to-one relationships.  Didn't think of having a table for one-to-many.

Trying to avoid paying the x amount of dollars to use the CDS, hence sharepoint.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (58,656)