Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hpkeong
Community Champion
Community Champion

Calendar.MonthsShort() - bugs reported for iOS

Hi PG:

When creating a DropDown, with Distinct(Calendar.MonthsShort()),

- Android: it will show "Jan", "Feb",....with First Capital Letter (Proper mode)

- iOS: it will show "jan", "feb",..... with small letter

Inconsistency between iOS and Android resulting in Filtering problem.

Tempoerary solution:

DropDown.Items = ["Jan", "Feb", ................, "Dec"]

I would suspect reported issues in this Forum on Filtering with DATE

- If data is saved using Apps in iOS and Android, date will be saved in different format and this will result in WRONG Calculation or comparison.

iOS: save 25-Mar-2017 as 25-mar-2017

Android: save 25-Mar-2017 as 25-Mar-2017 

Looks like a very serious bug. I will have, from  now on, to change and use numerial date:

e,g,: 25-03-2017

I will continue to check.

Would PG Investigate this issue?

TQ 

hpkeong
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I have a different session discussion with Audrie, and with her suggestion of using:

Proper(Text(Today(),"dd-mmm-yyyy"))

to force the first letter as capital, and i tried on

- SP4, Asus Laptop, Android Phone, Dynamics 365 Web Apps (it was having all lower case, 27-mar-2017, but I forgot to report)

Results: Perfectly done. Now data are forced to save as 27-Mar-2017, and even in Dropdown are are forced to Proper mode and

Filter & Sort are perfect.

Appreciate with prompt response and thanks to @audrie for solution.

Anyhowm I wisht PG has some ideas on why this happens or by defaults?

Thanks and wish this will help other as well.

TQ

hpkeong

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hpkeong,

Issue confirmed.

I will collect this from my side, and if I got any feedback, I will post back.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI

Thanks. Awaiting your investigation.

It happened on Asus Laptop (with exactly similar  setting to SP$, BUT SP4 is perfect), too , as 27-mar-2017, as of iPhone

TQ

hpkeong

Hi

I have a different session discussion with Audrie, and with her suggestion of using:

Proper(Text(Today(),"dd-mmm-yyyy"))

to force the first letter as capital, and i tried on

- SP4, Asus Laptop, Android Phone, Dynamics 365 Web Apps (it was having all lower case, 27-mar-2017, but I forgot to report)

Results: Perfectly done. Now data are forced to save as 27-Mar-2017, and even in Dropdown are are forced to Proper mode and

Filter & Sort are perfect.

Appreciate with prompt response and thanks to @audrie for solution.

Anyhowm I wisht PG has some ideas on why this happens or by defaults?

Thanks and wish this will help other as well.

TQ

hpkeong

View solution in original post

Please report the values that the Language() function returns on these different devices. The casing of the month names will vary by locale.

hpkeong
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

Language() shows en-US.

Anyway, Proper can show the problems at of now, but I wish there should be permanenet solution instead of Proper.

Meantime, if the user is using another languge, say Chinese or Spanish, the date will show in their languages, not in English.

Is there anyway here to FORCE the language to use ONLY ENGLISH, esp for the date, say, 27-Mar-2017 to permanently showing English - Mar?

TQ

hpkeong

If you always want the month emitted in English, use the third argument to the Text function to force it so. eg

Text(datefield, "mmm", "en-US")

Meanwhile if you have a device reporting Language() as "en-US" and Calendar.MonthsShort giving a lower-case result, please capture the sessionId of the Player when it runs so I can investigate further.

hpkeong
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

Thanks for the guidance and it drives me to re-read the tutorial 101% of Text(...) so that I can fully utilized and share with others if same doubts as me arisen.

- Text(datefield, "mmm", "en-US") definitely works for datefield. - OK! Done!

Bugs

Language() as "en-US" and Calendar.MonthsShort giving a lower-case result

- Yes it really happened with

1. lower case even with Language() is "en-US" and UNLESS I use Proper (as @audrie has shared bofore)

[bugs in iOS and Dynamics 365 (Web Apps on Win Phone Lumia & Android Phone).

Win 10 SP$ is always PERFECT.

Android Phone PowerApps is also PERFECT

2. for DropDown where I use Calendar.MonthShort(), I can use Proper to force Capital letter for the first letter, but the language witll follow to user UI Language. I have tested with Chinese PRC, and it shows 三月 (for Mar) - so, I have no choice and change the Dropdown items to : ["Jan", "Feb", ..................., "Dec"] so that it will match with DATE saved in datasource (such as 27-Mar-2017, where I use Left(Right (......., 8), 3) to match.

Sorry for not sharing ScreenShot as I have to speed up the apps for commercial use today, and change all the 3 apps concurrently.

Note:

I would suggest that PG staff please use Android to test. I know almost all Windows PG staff used iPHONE, ad iPhone is so cheap and popular in USA, but Android concurs the rest of the world for 80%++, and most of the apps we write are for normal people in Commercial use. Here, iPhone are mostly for PERSONAL Use. When comes to commercial, it is always Android Phone goes first, esp. Powerful Huawei P8, P9, P10, Vivo, Oppo, Xiaomi, ...

hpkeong

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Groups Public Preview

Join us for our User Group Public Preview!

Power Apps User Groups are coming! Make sure you’re among the first to know when user groups go live for public preview.

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (54,686)