cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

Can I build a canvas phone layout app and use on a tablet?

I am starting to build a canvas app and the first decision I have to make is phone layout vs tablet layout.  If I start with a phone layout can I use the app on a tablet and visa versa?  Or do I have to create one for each?  

And can I build a canvas app for a desktop/laptop browser?  I know I could do it with model driven, but I kind of like the control and customization of a canvas form then I do with a model driven.  Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@UC3378 

If you want to create a canvas app which works for both phone and tablet or browser, you should explore on making the app Responsive App. 

With responsive app design, you can make one single app work for both devices. 

If we create tablet layout app, then when you open the app in phone, you will see the same app as tablet view. It does not align the controls based on the device. Same with the case of phone layout.

Creating a responsive app will address your need of having a single app which works in both phone and tablet/browser.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

View solution in original post

@rsaikrishna Thanks.  I will take a look at responsive design.  

For form apps that are not required in the field using phone or tablet, do you think it is justifiable to use canvas for browser using responsive design?  Meaning it is used in the office.  Should I stick with model driven, or would there be a good case to use canvas?  Model driven apps are so plain and cookie cutter, i was wondering if canvas would make it look more appealing.  

2 REPLIES 2
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@UC3378 

If you want to create a canvas app which works for both phone and tablet or browser, you should explore on making the app Responsive App. 

With responsive app design, you can make one single app work for both devices. 

If we create tablet layout app, then when you open the app in phone, you will see the same app as tablet view. It does not align the controls based on the device. Same with the case of phone layout.

Creating a responsive app will address your need of having a single app which works in both phone and tablet/browser.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

@rsaikrishna Thanks.  I will take a look at responsive design.  

For form apps that are not required in the field using phone or tablet, do you think it is justifiable to use canvas for browser using responsive design?  Meaning it is used in the office.  Should I stick with model driven, or would there be a good case to use canvas?  Model driven apps are so plain and cookie cutter, i was wondering if canvas would make it look more appealing.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Check out the Power Apps Community Call for January 2021

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,567)