cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aec2018
Microsoft
Microsoft

Can I require AAD authorization to limit who can see a Power App?

I need to build an internal proof of concept that is going to need AAD authorization since we'll be showing sensitive data. From the documentation that I'm seeing, I keep getting pointed to a Power Apps Portals. Can I build something with Power Apps that will require users to sign in and block the app off to unauthorized users? Can I build a blank canvas app that can only be accessed by going through a Power Apps Portal? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

By controlling to whom an app and underlying data sources are shared, you effectively use AAD's authentication to control access. If an app is not shared with a user, they will not be able to access it.

Is that the kind of access control you are after?

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

By controlling to whom an app and underlying data sources are shared, you effectively use AAD's authentication to control access. If an app is not shared with a user, they will not be able to access it.

Is that the kind of access control you are after?

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

When you say shared, do you mean just having a link the app? My hope is that if any person somehow got a link to the Power App, they would get a not authorized page. So I'm guessing this would be based on Security Groups. Would I then need a log in experience at all or it would just be handled by virtue of being part of an SG or not?

By "Shared" I mean users/groups who explicitly have the app shared with them through Power Apps:

BCLS776_0-1627492318975.png

Any user who attempts to access an app through a link (in Teams or through a browser, for example) will not be able to run the app unless it has been shared with them or one of their M365 Groups. In addition, if underlying data sources are not shared, the user will encounter an error upon trying to start the app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,311)