cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhyatt
Advocate II
Advocate II

Can I set up my data differently in Sharepoint lists? 387 columns ?

I have a Power App that has been designed for schools admins to enter and draft a large planning document. The app has ended up with a maximum of 387 columns.  We only have access to standard connectors (no Azure or SQL connectors). The outlook for next year is that they would add more information to this planning process -- but I am out of room in the sharepoint list.

I have two main questions.

1) Is there a standard way to design my data system -- using SharePoint -- to better connect and process 400+ fields? multiple lists? Combining lists into a single app?

2) Is there a preferred data design for large forms that would better fit in a single SharePoint list?

PS The data in the form is mostly rich text and text fields, with number fields for budgets ... all to accommodate the final product in a combined HTML > PDF document. 

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @jhyatt ,

Without seeing your requirements, it is a bit hard, however the best way if possible is to break it up into categories with a common key and a “Master” list over the top. Depending on the structure, you might also have “sub categories” where seperate lists can be done relating to the main one.

Happy to comment further with more information on the structure requirements.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

@WarrenBelz  Are there any resources that you can point me to that would help a newbie non-developer like myself plan out a data structure like you mention?

The PowerApps canvas app coding standards and guidelines document from Microsoft doesn't address database design -- maybe because they assume everyone will pay for the premium connectors or are already seasoned developers with the resources to solve this on their own. 😞 

Hi @jhyatt ,

I can only relate to the use I require in PowerApps, but I do not use premium connectors nor any data storage outside SharePoint and a few Excel static reference tables.

I have about 50 apps, some of which collectively contain hundreds of fields across a lot of lists. My biggest one has over 30 lists.

I am telling you this so you can get some comfort that your current facility should be able to meet your requirements.

But back to your question. Does your plan have components, or are there several plans?
The first way I would approach the issue knowing there are going to be hundreds of fields would be the first one. Have a smaller list with key fields like dates, who is doing it etc and then the components in seperate lists. This also has the advantage of task allocation, so if a particular person is assigned a task, that task component may be in a separate list and all of these tasks can be selected from a gallery when required.

Have a think about the concept - I am happy to throw in more thoughts.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Are there any online guides or tutorials about setting up this kind of data structure that you know of? I'm much more of a visual learner...

Or is this a situation that is learn as you mess things up kind of thing? I wish it didn't take so dang long to figure it out on my own.

Still hoping someone has documentation or ebook training that might guide building this kind of complex power app / data model for such a large survey of data. 

Example includes -- annual goals with 50+ data and budget fields, compliance and rich text fields (multi line paragraph input). Overall size of 400-500 fields of data.

Hi @jhyatt ,

Sorry I missed your last post.

I probably faced a similar situation to you about two years ago. My background is Access/VBA/SQL.

I watched every video I could find  - there are some very good authors making these.

For the basics explained very well and simply Shane Young is a good start, although he also publishes quite advanced material.

There are also many others (and apologies if I have left someone out) I have found are very good - in no particular order

Reza Dorrani

Daniel Christian

Pragmatic Works

Paul O'Flaherty

Laura Rogers

As far a structure, I use SharePoint (mainly for the licence we have), but in an almost SQL structure. There are also many other options as you would know.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (77,508)