cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Can Primary ID in CDS Entity be a Text?

Well, Primary ID in CDS Entity can be a Text, but is this recommended? I know that behind the sense, a record in an entity is identified via Record ID, so what is the use of Primary ID? Is it to give developer the freedom to make use of the Primary ID by - possibly - chisng a Text Data type?

This solves the problem of "dispalyed field" in a record in a PowerApp or a CDS Excel. I mean: i hate to see ACC_001 in my App because ACC_001 does not mean anything, unless you look into the drop down list and see the second display field, which means you need to check rrecords one by one if you are rearching for a specific Account from another entity. Making Primary ID a Text, i could add Name of the Account so the Look up now works, also in Excel CDS add in, it works. but is this recommended?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Can Primary ID in CDS Entity be a Text?

Hi @Yahya,

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to say that Common data service lookup fields currently can't change the display value.

For the Primary ID, I think this field mostly would affect the data structure you are trying to work with.

Please check the following aritcle, which talks about the Best practices and restrictions when creating custom entity:

Manage custom Fields

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Hi @v-micsh-msft,

Thanks for your answer. you say "Sorry to say that Common data service lookup fields currently can't change the display value", does this mean that it is on PowerApps roadmap to enable developer make the Display Value of his choice? I will wait then!

In fact, this is a must. Imagine an excel sheet reading data from multi entities via CDS add ins, and want to print, it will contain data but without meaning.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Yahya,

Yes, I should be clear enough in the previous posts.

I mean the system entity lookup fields can't be modified currently.

For the custom entity, we could take use of field groups to change the lookup value displayed.

see:

Use field groups

Change the Default Lookup field group:

"Default Lookup: Used to display a lookup to select a record."

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,586)