cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimNYC
Frequent Visitor

Can't Use SQL View Without Granting SELECT Permission on Underlying Table

Good morning,

I'm trying to use a SQL view in my Power App. Everything was going fine as I built and tested the app, but prior to deployment I updated the user in my SQL database to only have the SELECT permission on the specific view used in the Power App. But now I get an error in my app that says the SELECT permission was denied on the table that view looks at. Using the view is an important security measure because it ensures that only the rows that I allow will be accessible via Power Apps. The SQL user I created can access the view just fine with any other application, for example, with SSMS, without having SELECT permission on the table. Is there a way to give Power Apps SELECT permission to views without giving it access to the view's tables?

I can't deploy my app if doing so means giving users access to all the data in the table. Even though I can restrict what the app sees with a view, the SQL connection is implicitly shared when I share the app and that would allow other users to build their own apps which can view all the data, right?

TimNYC_0-1630512769997.png

In this screenshot the object being referenced is not the view that I have connected to, but rather a table that the view uses.

Thank you,

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TimNYC
Frequent Visitor

I figured out that this only happens to views that contain both tables and other views. Rewriting the view to include only tables solved the problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TimNYC
Frequent Visitor

I figured out that this only happens to views that contain both tables and other views. Rewriting the view to include only tables solved the problem.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Microsoft Ignite 768x460.png

Find your focus

Explore the latest tools,training sessions,technical expertise, networking and more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,101)