cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HelpWebUJ

Can't save a new record to SharePoint online (office) list

Good day, 

I have a online SharePoint List called Interactions (screenshot) attached. After various failed attempts to set a default value to a dropdown (Choice) list, I tried to create my own Patch function. (I receive a global variable from the previous screen called 'varCompanyName' and I can set a text_control to that field so I know the value is passed correctly.) I started trying to save just 1 column to my SharePoint List called Interactions - '_prospect' but in my formula field of the onSelect of my button control complains that it can't find the column = '_prospect'. I've tried appending it with OData__ as in "OData__prospect" (1 and 2 underscores). I don't understand at all how to save 1 record back to my Interactions table. A complete record should write something back like:

Patch(Interactions, Defaults(Interactions), {_date : OData__date__dateCard3.selected, _prospect : OData__prospect_prospectCard3.select, etc etc }) But it complains about the column not being found so I can't even save manual values like {_prospect : "moon child"} let alone grab the values from the controls (next challenge) i.e {_prospect: dropdown.selected} etc. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HelpWebUJ,

First of all, I would like to confirm a few things:

1. So you have the columns in your sharepoint list named exactly with "_date" and "_prospect"? 

2. What are the column types of all these columns? I guess that "_prospect" is a Choice column, if so, then you cannot simply use a "Dropdown.Selected.Value" formula to Patch it to SharePoint list. To Patch a Choice column, you need something like this:

Patch(
    MyList,
    MyRecord,
    {MyChoiceColumn:
        {
        Value: Dropdown1.Selected.Value,
        '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"}
        }
    )

For how to patch choice and lookup type columns, please refer to:

https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2018/01/15/powerapps-how-to-update-sharepoint-choice-and-looku...

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HelpWebUJ,

First of all, I would like to confirm a few things:

1. So you have the columns in your sharepoint list named exactly with "_date" and "_prospect"? 

2. What are the column types of all these columns? I guess that "_prospect" is a Choice column, if so, then you cannot simply use a "Dropdown.Selected.Value" formula to Patch it to SharePoint list. To Patch a Choice column, you need something like this:

Patch(
    MyList,
    MyRecord,
    {MyChoiceColumn:
        {
        Value: Dropdown1.Selected.Value,
        '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"}
        }
    )

For how to patch choice and lookup type columns, please refer to:

https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2018/01/15/powerapps-how-to-update-sharepoint-choice-and-looku...

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,628)