cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
typing_dude

Can we use datasources with more than 2k records?

Good day,

I'm trying to create a dropdown which uses a database as its datasource. The database table has around 4k or more records in it. Now, when I try to do a search on the dropdown, I am not able to search all the records.

If the item that I am looking for is at around 1st to 2000th record, I will be able to search it in the dropdown. But for the records that are around 2001st and plus, I am not able to search it. Is this a limitation with the datasource function with powerapps?

I can work around it by downloading the data to an excel, uploading it as static data to the power app and then it just works all the information in the table is searchable in the dropdown but still this is a bit manual. Is there any other way to automate the integration wherein the source has more than 2k+ records?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

thanks for the tip @CNT. Dataverse looks to be a perfect match for power apps. However, the data that we are referencing is in a spreadsheet which is maintained by a client. We have no other option but to pick up the sheet we need from their spreadsheet and then store it somewhere else so our app can function correctly.

If we would go use dataverse is it possible to use a script to pickup data from some source and then dump on dataverse? which will then be used by our power app

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

@typing_dude 

The answer to your question is that it depends on the datasource.  Excel is not going to work for a list that large. If you are not planning on adding or modifying the data, a static Excel datasource can handle huge lists very efficiently.   SQL and Dataverse are fine with big lists but they are premium and have costs associated with them.  SharePoint can be used but with more limited functions. See @WarrenBelz 's blog here for more on SharePoint as a datasource. https://www.practicalpowerapps.com/delegation/power-apps-delegation-sharepoint/ 

@Drrickrypthank you for your reply. I think in our scenario, using SQL would be the better option instead of sharepoint.

our current plan is "Power Apps Per User Plan". does that grant us full access to use SQL Server as a data source?

CNT
Community Champion
Community Champion

@typing_dude Sql would require more maintenance. Dataverse comes packaged with the power platform and works quite well and is maintenance free.

Moreover, loading more than 2k records can affect the performance - hence the limit. Try to filter the records at the source. This is called delegation. Dataverse is a very delegable datasource. 

thanks for the tip @CNT. Dataverse looks to be a perfect match for power apps. However, the data that we are referencing is in a spreadsheet which is maintained by a client. We have no other option but to pick up the sheet we need from their spreadsheet and then store it somewhere else so our app can function correctly.

If we would go use dataverse is it possible to use a script to pickup data from some source and then dump on dataverse? which will then be used by our power app

View solution in original post

CNT
Community Champion
Community Champion

@typing_dude   u can use dataflows to do that.

ok thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (39,647)