Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coopedup
Resolver II
Resolver II

Can you check subscription/license level a user has? E3/E5

Hi,

So not all company users have an E5 license so I'd like to possibility to present a screen of PowerBI tiles if they have a valid E5 license and if they don't they'll get the standard PowerApp graphs screen. 

Is it possible to check user credentials? 

Thanks!
Neil 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Coopedup ,

The only real test for a licence level that I am aware of is whether the authentication allows the app to open with the connectors assigned to it.

So here lies your conundrum (and I face this myself) - you cannot have an app with any premium connectors that will open for a user with an E3 licence, so even if you could "check" at startup, the E3 user would not get that far to have the option of being presented with the "plain" graphs.

You need two apps, however if you use Office365 security-enabled groups for all your sharing (you can do Power Apps and SharePoint on the one group), you would simply share the PowerBI version with the E5 group and the other one with the E3 users.

I will however leave you with another thought - if you had a "master list" of all the users and their Licence levels, you could launch a generic one-screen app with an "enter System" button on it, query the list and then launch the appropriate app for the relevant user from there.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Hi @Coopedup ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Coopedup ,

The only real test for a licence level that I am aware of is whether the authentication allows the app to open with the connectors assigned to it.

So here lies your conundrum (and I face this myself) - you cannot have an app with any premium connectors that will open for a user with an E3 licence, so even if you could "check" at startup, the E3 user would not get that far to have the option of being presented with the "plain" graphs.

You need two apps, however if you use Office365 security-enabled groups for all your sharing (you can do Power Apps and SharePoint on the one group), you would simply share the PowerBI version with the E5 group and the other one with the E3 users.

I will however leave you with another thought - if you had a "master list" of all the users and their Licence levels, you could launch a generic one-screen app with an "enter System" button on it, query the list and then launch the appropriate app for the relevant user from there.

Hi @Coopedup ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,356)