cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Future_Vision
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Can you use comma delimited values in a table cell?

I'm not really sure the correct terminology here but can you add comma delimited data in a record/column?

Here is what I am thinking. I have a list of marketing items. There is a record for each

Marketing Item

Email

Ad

Banner

The second column indicates the type of content for each. So it would be something like this.

Marketing Item      Content

email                      text, image, video

ad                          image, video

banner                   image

The reason I am asking if this is possible because I was thinking this might be an efficient way of creating cascading combo boxes. If the user chooses email then all three Content options would be available. If they chose banner then only the image option would be available. Is that possible or do I need a record/row for every combination?

13 REPLIES 13
CNT
Super User
Super User

@Future_Vision You can definitely store comma delimited data. But rather than storing this information as text, it would be better if you have Choices of "text", "image", "video" and store those choices in your Content column. This way if you have more Contents in the future it will be easy to handle and also it will be easy for filtering data based on these choices. Hope that helps!

@CNT 

I'm not quite understanding. If I set up a column as Choices(which I can only do under Build in PowerApps for Teams) for some reason it is read only and I can't do anything with the column and Choices is not an option if I add the column by accessing the table through the app.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Future_Vision 

Yes, you can easily do this with a dropdown/combobox

For the first - the Items would be along this line -  yourList

You would display the Marketing Item in the dropdown.

For the second - the Items would be such as this : Split(firstCombobox.Selected.Content, ",")

That should give you what you are looking for.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
Future_Vision
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@RandyHayes 

I think I need to switch this up. It's not doing exactly what I want to do. What if Marketing Item was its own combo box and Content was a separate combo box? Of course I would need to update the Content data source. It would need a lookup column right?

Here is what I would have.

Marketing Item (combo box)

email

ad

banner

Content      Marketing Item (second combo box, 2 columns

text               email

image           email,ad,banner

video            email,ad

If they chose email in the first combo box then the second one will have all three content values. If they chose ad then only image and video would be available. Is that a better way to do this?

Future_Vision
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@RandyHayes 

This seems to work. 

The Marketing Item list is set up this way:

Marketing Item (1st combo box)

email

ad

banner

The Content combobox datasource looks like this:

Content      Marketing Item (2nd combo box, datasource with 2 columns)

text               email

image           email,ad,banner

video            email,ad

Then for items in the Content combobox I did this.

Filter(Content,MarketingItem_CB.Selected.crfeb_marketingitem in crfeb_marketingitem)

This seems to filter that second combobox correctly. See any issues with this?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Future_Vision 

Sorry I dropped off on this thread.  I have a new system in place now to keep track better (PowerApps based of course 😁 )

I always like making a separate list for controlling content like that.  Although these datasources give you a place for choices and options, for true flexibility, using a list that you can directly control from your app is even better.

So, based on that, is the formula you have working as you want?

The original formula I provided would also do what you need, but it would be reliant on the values in the marketing values.  

If you're dealing with smaller amounts of choices (like only the three or so that you show) then I tend NOT to have the separate list as it is more overhead that is not needed.  But any other situation where there is more and needs more management (in my app), then the separate list is good.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

@RandyHayes 

Can you give me a little more information on how to use/make these lists? Is this some type of mapping file? Maybe an Excel file or something along those lines?

What I have now mostly works as long as my choice in one field has a corresponding mapping in the other otherwise my list is blank which is probably a simple fix. 

I think this might also play into another piece of the app I just started working on and you alluded too. This would be an admin center where I can manage all of my data sources. It would allow me to add, delete or edit each one.

@RandyHayes 
Still doing a little digging on this. Are the lists you are talking about SharePoint lists or built in the Lists app in Teams? Just trying to get my head wrapped around this. 

In this document it seems to imply that I have a datasource for each combobox I want to 'link' and then a separate datasource that maps the two together? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/dependent-drop-down-lists%C2%A0

"As a best practice, create a data source for the values in the "parent" and "child" lists (for example, countries/regions and cities) that's separate from the data source that users update by using the app. If you take this approach, you can use the same parent and child data in more than one app, and you can update that data without republishing the app or apps that use them. You can accomplish the same outcome by using a collection or static data, but it isn't recommended for enterprise scenarios."

Future_Vision
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@Randy @CNT 

Should I start a new thread for this? It seems these help threads die/stop receiving answers after a certain number of posts.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,401)