cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Future_Vision
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Can you use comma delimited values in a table cell?

I'm not really sure the correct terminology here but can you add comma delimited data in a record/column?

Here is what I am thinking. I have a list of marketing items. There is a record for each

Marketing Item

Email

Ad

Banner

The second column indicates the type of content for each. So it would be something like this.

Marketing Item      Content

email                      text, image, video

ad                          image, video

banner                   image

The reason I am asking if this is possible because I was thinking this might be an efficient way of creating cascading combo boxes. If the user chooses email then all three Content options would be available. If they chose banner then only the image option would be available. Is that possible or do I need a record/row for every combination?

13 REPLIES 13
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Future_Vision 

Actually, I am now tracking these aggressively on my side and I have it on my list still.  But, I have been swamped for the past week and have been behind on responses - so it's my fault this time.

So, yes a separate list would be what I am referring to.  I find it easier to keep and maintain these directly in a SharePoint list, but you can use whatever is most convenient. 

The document you reference is a good one from the perspective that they explain how to use the Allowed Values control type.

But I am not getting from your posts what part you are having a hard time with.  Where are you struggling in the concept?  Is there anything specific that you are trying to get your head around?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

@RandyHayes 

I guess what I was having a problem with is understanding how to relate the two fields with a list. So if I understand this correctly I have the following.

Dataverse table 1 (single column) = Source for dropdownbox 1

Dataverse table 2 (single column)= Source for dropdownbox 2

Datasource 3 (table, list, etc with multiple columns) = how dropdownbox 1 relates to dropdownbox 2

With this third data source is each record one to one?

Marketing Item      Content

email                       text

email                       banner

email                       video

Couldn't use one of the Dataverse tables to do the same thing but use a comma delimited set of values like this? Are you saying it is easier to maintain if I set up a third datasource set up as I did above? 

Marketing Item      Content

email                      text, image, video

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Future_Vision 

So am I correct in assuming that the values in "Marketing Item" would be from one of the tables and the values in "Content" would come from the other table?

If that is the case, then yes, the choice of how you go about it is completely up to you.  You can have your third list contain a one-to-one set of records.  You'd filter the list by "email" in the above sample and you you would be left with a table of three items.

OR, you could also do the one-to-many with the comma separation and utilize Split to then give you a table of three items).

Personally for this type of thing, I like the comma separated column, but that is really going to be based on how you will handle the items in your app from that point.  Given what appears to be a relatively simple list of items, it would seem effective to use the comma separation.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

@RandyHayes 
Thanks. You mentioned using Split. I posted some sample code(also posted below) in an earlier post where I used 'in' for the filter. Which way is better?

Filter(Content,MarketingItem_CB.Selected.crfeb_marketingitem in crfeb_marketingitem)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,487)