cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Z_Lukowski
Resolver I
Resolver I

Cannot access relationship table which was created while creating Many-to-many Relationship

Hello,

In my Canvas App I want to create new record on relationship table

I have Table A and Table B which have Many-to-Many relationship, when this relationship was set new table was created:

Z_Lukowski_0-1612446951700.png

In relationship table name I see name of new table, but:

A) I can't see this table on Tables-->ALL in CDS

B) I can't add this table as a dataousrce in Canvas App

Is there any way to access this entity?

Anyone had same issue?

Best Regards

Zbigniew

3 REPLIES 3
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@Z_Lukowski 

In CDS you can’t access the junction table created using the OOB method for creating relationships. However, you can create your own junction table and there are good reasons for doing this such as adding fields that are appropriate to that table and not the other two.

@Drrickryp thank you for answer, So how can I tie my records if I cannot access a table (and without creating new table) I figured out there must be a way to do this - otherwise the many-to-many relationship would be useless, right?

Best Regards

Zbigniew

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@Z_Lukowski 

For a complete explanation of how to work with the OOB solution for many to many relationships, see  https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/relate-records-in-many-to-many-relationships/ 

For an example of how to work with relationships in PowerApps dataverse follow this exercise:   https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/northwind-install . 

The OOB many to many relationship that CDS uses has advantages and disadvantages.  In my mind, one of the biggest is the  inability to add fields to the junction table.  I am an old school database designer and have chosen to manually create the junction tables in my CDS based apps just as I had for years in developing MS Access database solutions.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,322)