I cannot remove selected items from many of my dropdown fields. I'm using SharePoint list as my data source.
1. Edit form
2. Click field with a previously saved value
3. Remove field item by using the "x" so no items are displayed
4. Save form
Expected: the record in SharePoint list no longer contains a value
Actual: the record in SharePoint list still contains a value. 😞
Dropdown fields that I'm using where this is not working: 1) Choice 2) Lookup 3) Person/Group (single item)
Dropdown fields that I'm using that do work: 1) Person/Group (multiple items)
I've seen others with similar issues, some had workarounds, however none are ideal. Is this really a bug? Seems like foundational functionality. If it is a bug, is there a way to view if this has been reported and see the status of a fix?
Solved! Go to Solution.
@LRVinNC Are you SURE you don't have allow multiple selections on for that column??
Cuz I'm baffled...
Here is my test gear - New SharePoint List (PeepList). Title Column and a single People Only No Multiple Selections column (SinglePeep).
New PowerApp - Connected to list. New Form - Form1. (Only change, remove the attachments datacard). Datasource, the list. Item (for simplicity) - First(PeepList)
Two buttons - One - SubmitForm(Form1), two - ResetForm(Form1)
Follow image below:
Step 1 - Added a record. Cleverly titled it "A Record" 😉 Selected a user.
Step 2 - Played PowerApp, form all good
Step 3 - Selected SinglePeep list
Step 4 - Deleted the peep in the list
Step 5 - Clicked on my beautifully styled submit button.
Step 6 - Refreshed SharePoint List - Single Peep still there.
Step 7 - Hit my other beautifully styled button to reset the form.
Step 8 - SinglePeep Newman back on the scene.
Really strange. The only difference I can see between your test and my app is that my ProjectOwner field is being used on a data card within an edit form, not just directly on a screen. Perhaps that is having some effect...
Strange indeed, because mine was an EditForm also, just like yours. The field is in the DataCard with zero changes. Again the only change made to the EditForm was to remove the Attachments column.
I'm very intrigued now.
@RandyHayes I just doubled checked both the field and data card and you are correct - they are indeed identical to those in your last post. Are you using Sharepoint Online or on prem? We are using Online and I am on PowerApp version 3.19032.13 for this app.
Yes indeed...same scenario here. SharePoint Online and 3.19032.13
@RandyHayes More interestingly, I just re-created your standalone app and it does NOT allow me to clear. I then went immediately back to my app and I still can clear it so there has to be something different about that app that is allowing it to work. If I stumble on anything, I'll let you know.
Just got a chance to read through your conversation. I'm going to poke my nose in, see if we can't spoil this sauce.
@LRVinNC, the first thing that jumps to my mind is "Formula-level error management". I apologize if something in what you wrote was already meaning to clarify that no such features are enabled. Otherwise, could you see if your working app is using this feature?
In my travels, that was what I found to be enhancing PowerApps null-setting capabilities for the most stubborn field types:
Hope this helps! If this isn't at play, I'm quite keen to learn what else you may have uncovered.
@joshnystrom No, I hadn't taken a look at app settings, so it's a good callout. Yes, I have Formula-level error management turned on in my primary area. It was turned off in my test app so I turned it on, but it had no effect.
After your callout, I went down line by line and ensured all settings in the test app were identical to the working app No impact. The test app still fails. The working app still works.
Further, I added a second screen to the test app duplicating @RandyHayes test again but this time using the equivalent two fields from the Projects list (Title and ProjectOwner) -- the same one working in the big app. These don't work in the test app either. So it has to be something about the composition of my big app that is allowing it to work. Really, really strange.
@LRVinNC Any chance you've not started a new editing session since enabling it in your test app? I should have mentioned that an app reload was critical to breaking/un-breaking this piece of the added functionality.
@joshnystrom I had saved but I had not completely closed down the editor and re-launched.
@gh1 Go to App Settings, under Experimental Features and turn the first one, Formula-level Error Management on. Then save your app. EXIT your app -- in fact to be absolutely sure, I would close your browser session and relaunch. Then try your update again and see if it helps. I did make a different with the person field and I have used successfully with a choice field so there is a good chance it may fix your problem. Let us know before curiosity kills the cat.
@joshnystrom Thanks again. Good work.
Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!
Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.
Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021
Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights