cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
safifaruqi
Helper I
Helper I

Cant Reference Column in PowerApps

Hi Guys, I had a fully functioning app a minute ago but suddenly everything brokedown. I got an invalid argument error randomly and upon further investigation, reference to a column appeared broken, I tried to fix it but but when I try writing column name 

"ISSUE_x0020_ID' (which was working just fine 2 minutes ago) does not load while other columns from the same data source and table load just fine, this has completely broken my application and I cant figure out why ? 

I have already tried refreshing and reconnecting my data set multiple times but no look thus far. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
zmorek
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

DataSourceInfo.MaxLength applies only to columns that contain strings, is that column formatted as number?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
zmorek
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Can you send a screenshot of the error message along with more information about the data source, where this is broken, etc.?

safifaruqi_0-1619125514975.png

Says I have an invalid Argument, data source is excel connected by OneDrive. it doesnt let me reference "issue_x0020_ID" at all when I try to go and fix it while other column names show up in the dropdown just fine. 

safifaruqi_1-1619125871444.png

zmorek
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

DataSourceInfo.MaxLength applies only to columns that contain strings, is that column formatted as number?

View solution in original post

safifaruqi
Helper I
Helper I

Yes it does! okay I didnt know that, what should be the maxlength property in this case? 

safifaruqi
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks a lot for clarifying I wasnt sure what was happening. Would you be so Kind to share some guidelines, the issue_Id field was converted back to text and the error is gone. As a best practice for an autoincrement type field how should we format the column? 

zmorek
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Of course, anything to help! I don't see anything inherently wrong with it being a string vs. a number; if you're worried about it, you could do your data validation in the app itself on that field. You could do something to validate the information in that DataCard with IsNumeric():

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-isnumeric

safifaruqi
Helper I
Helper I

Really appreciate the help. I was having Panic Attacks lol 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (69,925)