cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rubber_Duck
Regular Visitor

Canvas App - Clear Fields Based on Choice Column Answer

Hi all,

I'm very new to PowerApps, so I'm helping someone can help me.

I have a Canvas App built from a SharePoint Custom List. The app contains a choice field, which includes only two options - 'yes' and 'no'. A number of subsequent fields (another choice field, a multi-line text field and a date/time field) are set to only become visible when the 'yes' option is selected in the initial choice field. This is working fine.

The problem I have is finding a method of clearing/resetting the three subsequent fields if the user later edits the form and changes the initial choice field to 'no'. The subsequent fields are being re-hidden successfully in this scenario, but they still contain the data from the initial submission. 

I've tried using an If condition to change the Reset property on the subsequent fields to 'true' when the value of the initial choice field is 'no', but this doesn't seem to work. 

This is stopping me from being able to use the app, so if someone can help me solve it it would be big help.

Thanks.     

34 REPLIES 34
phipps0218
Super User
Super User

Reset(fieldName) or use a variable and set the variable to blank.

Please accept this as a solution.

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rubber_Duck ,

Change the Reset of the controls you want cleared to a Variable (I will use varReset) and then on the OnChange of the first control,

If(
   Self.Selected.Value = "no",
   UpdateContext({varReset: true})
)

Also at Screen OnVisible

UpdateContext({varReset: false})

The Default of these controls should be

If(
   varReset,
   Blank(),
   ThisItem.FieldName
)

if you are displaying existing information in them.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

Rubber_Duck
Regular Visitor

Thanks Phipps. 

I've tried the Reset(fieldName) approach. It doesn't work. The fields don't clear/reset.

I'm not experienced with variables unfortunately. Could you explain how this would need to be done?

Corissandageri
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Assuming you are not using a form, and using TextInput or and a dropdown, you could have !Toggle in the Reset property of either the TextInput or Dropdown. This is also assuming you are using a Toggle for the yes no choice column.

@Rubber_Duck ,

Please see the code I posted regarding the Variable setting and Reset property

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Thanks for the advice Warren.

I don't really understand your final two steps though I'm afraid. My lack of experience with Power Apps and variables I think!

I'm not sure what Screen OnVisible is? And I don't really follow the final step about the default - which controls are you referring to there?

Thanks

@Rubber_Duck ,

If you do not select anything (just the screen open), you can get the OnVisible property in the top left drop-down.

If you select the control you want to hide, the Reset property is also in this drop-down, as is the Default.

The actual Default property will depend on what it is now and what type of control it is.

Ok thanks. I'm getting seriously confused though.

Surely it should be as simple as using the OnChange property on the initial choice field to reset the subsequent DataCardValue fields to blank. I don't understand why that doesn't work and it needs variables and default properties based on field types.     

@Rubber_Duck ,

I was simply giving you another option when you said yours did not work. Resetting a control will cause it to revert to its Default value, so if that contains an existing field value from a data source, it will not clear it. The Reset property of a control does the same thing, but will activate when a condition (in this case a Variable) changes to true. The conditional Default property then allows it to clear if the Variable is true.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (2,975)