cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Zacc90
Regular Visitor

Canvas App with SharePoint - Display Names no longer working

In my app I collect data from a SharePoint List into a collection, and up until now I've been able to reference columns using their display name. All of a sudden the display names don't work and only logical names have values for each column.

 

Any ideas, or common things to check that can cause this issue? Ive added a separate screen with a button and gallery to simply clearcollect from the data source with no other criteria and the data source still has no values against columns using their display names. 

4 REPLIES 4
metsshan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I haven't used the SharePoint data source too much, but I have found the column name referencing to be a tricky sometimes. Perhaps toggling this setting ON will help? (in File -> Settings)

metsshan_0-1658900981513.png

 

Thanks for the quick response, I don't actually have this option - I did some digging yesterday and it seems MS have made using display names the default for newer apps, but option exists for those who chose to stick with logical names when the toggle was still available. So I believe technically this is already on for this app.

Ahh I see, nice find. Well aside from my usual "remove the Data Source and add it back in" when I'm having data source issues, I don't know how to further troubleshoot this one.

Some screenshots might provide some valuable context especially if there are any errors being produced?

I also like to check View -> Collections when I'm debugging issues like this, just to verify existence of data, and column names:

metsshan_1-1658905893239.png

 

 

Zacc90
Regular Visitor

So a quick update and more context.

The app handles request tickets and at a point in their lifetime they will be archived to a duplicate SharePoint List where retention labels are applied.

 

The main gallery that displays all requests can switch between live and archived items. So upon rolling back to a version just before the issue was introduced, it seems it's when the archive data source is brought into the gallery that the app starts acting up, and I believe it's because the archive list has the same columns in, so the app can't distinguish between the same display names across two lists for the same gallery, hence forcing the use of logical names (although they are also the same). Just a guess but can't find any other issue at all, and converting all column references to logical has removed the errors. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,327)