cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ReinderSentia
Frequent Visitor

Canvas app not updating after import on different environment

Here is our scenario: 

we had a canvas app on the production environment, which we wanted to move to a development environment so we could set up a proper solution with ALM. I imported the app on development, created a solution, added the existing app to the solution and also added more stuff to the solution.

When I export the solution as managed and import it on our test environment, the canvas app on test does not seem to update. 

A different canvas app in the same solution does update on test after a fresh import

How come my imported app does not want to update when I migrate it to the test environment?
The changes are visible when I play the app on dev and I've also tried 'Publish all changes', with no luck.

attached are my import settings and a versions screenshot showing that the app was indeed updated on test but still not showing the changes.

cheers

Reinder

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ReinderSentia
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @Pstork1 .
The app has been a part of the solution during all my imports on Test, so it was created from the solution itself.
However, to mimic the production environment I had exported the canvas app from production and imported it separately (outside of a solution) on Test as well. I think this messes up the dependencies. When an app with the same name is already present, the app inside the managed solution gets a suffix appended, like 'Professional Portal_202106150274'. I then deleted the production canvas app from Test and renamed the app that was part of the imported solution to 'Professional Portal'. With subsequent import, I guess the platform no longer recognizes the correct relationships between the renamed canvas app and the one inside the imported solution.

When I remove the single canvas app from production and do a fresh import of the solution, updates afterwards seem to work correctly.

I guess I will have to delete the existing canvas app on production before importing my final solution on production.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Was the original app in the text environment created from the managed solution?  If not, then it won't ever update.  Make sure the app is created in the test environment using the managed solution.  Then when you import the solution a second time with changes it should update.  But a managed solution won't update an app that was created manually or through an export from a different environment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
ReinderSentia
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @Pstork1 .
The app has been a part of the solution during all my imports on Test, so it was created from the solution itself.
However, to mimic the production environment I had exported the canvas app from production and imported it separately (outside of a solution) on Test as well. I think this messes up the dependencies. When an app with the same name is already present, the app inside the managed solution gets a suffix appended, like 'Professional Portal_202106150274'. I then deleted the production canvas app from Test and renamed the app that was part of the imported solution to 'Professional Portal'. With subsequent import, I guess the platform no longer recognizes the correct relationships between the renamed canvas app and the one inside the imported solution.

When I remove the single canvas app from production and do a fresh import of the solution, updates afterwards seem to work correctly.

I guess I will have to delete the existing canvas app on production before importing my final solution on production.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,108)