cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MRTG
Frequent Visitor

Capture further error details

There are many articles on how to capture a submission failure which can be used to display to users.
This is done by reading Errors(TableName) and returns something like attached Image1;

MRTG_0-1635326913368.png

When viewing in 'Edit Mode' of PowerApps, I am able to get more detail which is important to this scenario. See Image2, error for same image above

MRTG_0-1635327022256.png

How can I capture the 'Server Response' as per the last image?

3 REPLIES 3

@MRTG You can turn on the experimental feature 

" Formula-level error management "

Then use the IfError, IsError, IsBlankOrError functions from PowerApps to check if an Error has happened, and handle the error such as to display it. More details here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-iferror

For the actual message, access the FirstError.Message property to know what the error message was.
Example: 

IfError( SomeErrorGeneratingFormula, Notify( FirstError.Message ) ) 

You may also be interested in the FirstError.Kind, Source, Observed - and for multiple errors that occur you may be interested in accessing the AllErrors Table. 
More info on this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-iferror#firsterror--... 

Check if above helps @MRTG 

Hi,

Thanks for that. The problem I have raised is that the formula you quote does not return the full server response. Your formula just returns what you see in the first image, I want to retreive the full reposnse.

GraysonBishop2
Frequent Visitor

@MRTG, I'm running into this exact same issue (for me it is when I'm using Patch with SharePoint). All I can pull from the Error table is "The requested operation is invalid" or, if I have Formula-level error management enabled, I get "Network error when using patch function: The requested operation is invalid". But neither of these responses include the full server response I can see in the Power Apps Studio.

I've noticed that in some apps, when Forumla-level error management is disabled, the full error message with the server response is displayed to the user. But I can't figure out when that shows vs when it doesn't so I can't even bank on that.

I would love to hear any ideas on how to capture/control this server response part of the error.

I made a related post in the Error Handling thread in case there was better engagement there - https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Error-Handling/Capture-Server-Response-Part-of-Error/m-p/1482156.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,752)