Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Cascading Combobox - Not possible?

Hi All

I am following the guidance to move away from Dropdowns and to Comboboxes...

I am trying to create cascaded comboboxes like we can with Dropdowns

I am getting the dreaded "blue dot of death" when I invoke a filter in the items in a combobox

Can you filter items in a combobox or no?

Here are 2 variations on the formula I am trying to use - both produce the "blue dot of death"

This formula is in the Items Property of a ComboBox 

• Filter(Opportunities, AccountId = Value(Proj_Detail_Account_ID_Value.Text))
  • Filter(Opportunities, AccountId = 3)

I can use this same formula in the items in a dropdown - no problem

Anyone have any experience with this?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

The blue dot of death is simply telling your list is not deleagable over the 500 (but can be set to 200).  It is not an error

The way I do dropdowns and combos is to actually create seperate small SP lists that combos use,  not the parent list.  I actually do not have any combos or dropdowns in the master SP lists as they prove to be problematic for new data etc.  I just keep them as a simple text field.  On a form that I want to use for that list and in teh datacard I add a control like a combo or a dropdown. 

I set its defaults to be ased on the Parent.default so it gets the foems field value if it exists.  In the items I create the dropdown based an a collection that is based on the list that has the dropdown data.  This make load time of the view fast asthe list are not trying to get distinct data from the the parent list any more

Finally in teh datacard I then set the actual  list field default to equal teh dropdown value.  So if already had data it would still be the same.  When you change the dropdown it changes the field.  I make that field invisible to the user.

No that you use controls that are not bound to the master list,  cascading is so much easier

Highlighted

Not workable since I have thousands of items in the lists

Cascade dropdowns are fine...   no blue dot of death with the exact same function

Seems like Comboboxes dont have the same scalability as dropdowns when it comes to filtering values presented to a user

I will log an idea if I dont hear anything from anyone else...  

We need this scalability in many situations - I have a customer with over 250,000 entries in a list and filtering is lightning fast using a dropdown in Powerapps.  Not good if we cant do the same with Combobox controls... especially given the guidance that we should be moving away from Dropdowns using a lookup to ComboBox controls as described in the powerapps team blog

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-update/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,741)