cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theBrianL
Helper I
Helper I

Cascading Drop Downs Not Populating in SharePoint List

I created four fields using single line of text in a SharePoint List. 

I then used Integrate/Power Apps/Customize Forms on the SharePoint List.   I then created Cascading dropdowns from a data source list in SharePoint.  After publishing to SharePoint, I click on the Plus + for new item.  The cascading drop downs are working correctly, but when I save the new item, nothing populates in the fields that had the cascading drop downs.  It's all blank.  Any idea how to fix, so data populates into the SP list?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

That is an Update property. You may need to unlock the card to modify the property. You can do that by selecting the DataCard and going to the property pane on the right and selecting Advanced then you should see the option to unlock the Card. But first make sure that is the DataCard for the SharePoint text field that you want to update with the dropdown control you created. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

Check the Update property of the DataCard for each field to make sure it is the saving the correct value. Also make sure the DataField property for each of those DataCards has the correct field name in it.

For example the DataCard for the dropdown may have the Update property as dropdown1.Selected.Value and the DataField as "SharePointTextFieldName"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

This is the formula for one of the dropdowns:  Distinct(Filter(QryStoreLookUP, Company_x0020_Name = DataCardValue7.Selected.Result),SalesPerson)

I don't see an Update value.  Where would that be located?  

Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

Update isn't a property of the dropdown control. It is the property of the DataCard the dropdown is in. The DataCard determines what is being saved when the form is submitted. When you created the custom form from SharePoint all this was created for you based on the fields in SharePoint. However, it sounds like you changed one of the text fields to a dropdown on the Power App form which means you will need to change the Update property of the DataCard, so it knows to grab the value in the dropdown.

Is this the right place?   If so how do I modify this?  Thanks for your patience. 

theBrianL_0-1627508249577.png

Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

That is an Update property. You may need to unlock the card to modify the property. You can do that by selecting the DataCard and going to the property pane on the right and selecting Advanced then you should see the option to unlock the Card. But first make sure that is the DataCard for the SharePoint text field that you want to update with the dropdown control you created. 

View solution in original post

Hi Jeff,  Thanks for your help.  I updated the formula in the Update field to DataCardValue10.Selected.Result.  As Result was the only hint as to what to put.  This is the only place I see an Update section. The red error X that I was getting went away, but  it still doesn't populate anything when I go to SharePoint site and add a new record.  Do you know the formula that I need to change this too to make the values populate in the SharePoint List?  

theBrianL_0-1627514930558.png

It didn't publish the most recent version.  After I published, it started populating!  Thanks!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (992)