Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JillH
Helper II
Helper II

Cascading Drop-Downs and SharePoint integration

Hi all

I have a robust PowerApps form that allows associates at my company to request projects, then others to assign them to a variety of associates. It's a SharePoint-integrated PowerApp.

I need to expand usage to more teams. What I need to do is create a list of teams (Team 1, Team 2, etc), then a secondary cascading drop-down of Project Types that populate depending on what Team was selected in the previous drop-down.

In my "sandbox" area, I've done just that using instructions from a video from Shane Young and an excel table uploaded to SharePoint & brought in as a data source.

Code for the second drop-down looks like this:

Distinct(Filter(TestProjectTypes,Title=DropDownRole.SelectedText.Value),'Project Type')

Works great.

But now, I'm trying to figure out how to integrate this all into my actual App. Can I use the Excel file to drive the selections then collect the answer to drop it in a field in SharePoint? Do I need to have the Teams and Project Types as a Lookup List in SharePoint and is that possible do the drop-downs in the same manor? A third option I'm not thinking of? 

In all this, I need to retain the ability to change the Team and/or Project list name upon occasion and not have it change the historical values. That however, could be more of a SharePoint question than a PowerApps one...

TIA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The solution I found was via this video - a different way of thinking about the whole thing that actually gives me some unexpected flexibility. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ekj5MlNJU

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
EricLott
Super User
Super User

In my opinion, I would scrap the Excel file and create a SharePoint List that associates the Projects to the Teams i.e. a list for projects that have the columns ProjectID, ProjectName, ProjectTeamID, etc...

Then have a teams list with a team Id and a Team name. (unless you're referring to actual Microsoft Teams, which you can integrate via Flow with a GetTeam sort of function)

In PowerApps, you can now associate the teams and the Projects in the same manor you have above, just using your Lists instead of the Excel file.

Thanks!

I created a list with Team & Project Type, added those two fields as lookups to my primary list, and created a test app directly from the SharePoint "new/edit" window. I added the Team dropdown, edited items with the code below, and it's not working:

Distinct(JillTestBITimeList,WhatIsYourRole)

I added .value at the end, no dice.

Original Code, which gives duplicates:

Choices(JillTestBITimeList.WhatIsYourRole)

Is there a way to combine Distinct and Choices? Some other methodology or syntax?

Thanks!

Jill

v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JillH ,

It seems that WhatIsYourRole column is LookUp type, please try this:

Distinct(Choices(JillTestBITimeList.WhatIsYourRole),Value)

Best regards,

Sik

The solution I found was via this video - a different way of thinking about the whole thing that actually gives me some unexpected flexibility. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ekj5MlNJU

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (18,713)