cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Struan
Frequent Visitor

Cascading Drop Downs and data table showing [Record] not actual values.

Very much a newbie, so please be gentle with me!

My app is creating a new record in my sharepoint list 'notes'.

Each new record has a 'category' field and 'sub category' field.

I also have two other sharepoint lists. One with the categories and one with sub categories and the relevant parent categories.

In the 'sub categories' list, I have a lookup which populates the 'parent category' from a separate 'categories' sharepoint list.

When trying to filter the sub category drop down (depending on the value in the category drop down) I am really struggling to get it to work.

I have problem solved as far as I can and think the issue is linked to the values for my 'parent category' being displayed as [record] in the data table rather than the actual value.

Where am I going wrong?

Not that I think it is relevant but my code is...

Filter('Note Sub Types', 'Parent Category' = CategoryDataCardValue.Selected.Value)

Struan_0-1598647281534.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

Hi @Struan 

I think you need to change your expression slightly. In my example, Student Scores is my SharePoint list name. CountryID is a lookup column. The dropdown Items property is set to: 

Filter('Student Scores', CountryID.Value = ComboBox7.Selected.Title)

So looking at your expression, you need to modify it slightly. Try typing in a dot (.) after 'Parent Cateogry'. And you will see some suggestions (possibly Id and Value). So something like this: 

Filter('Note Sub Types', 'Parent Category'.Value = CategoryDataCardValue.Selected.Value)

Let me know if this works. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Microsoft Business Applications MVP

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

Hi @Struan 

I think you need to change your expression slightly. In my example, Student Scores is my SharePoint list name. CountryID is a lookup column. The dropdown Items property is set to: 

Filter('Student Scores', CountryID.Value = ComboBox7.Selected.Title)

So looking at your expression, you need to modify it slightly. Try typing in a dot (.) after 'Parent Cateogry'. And you will see some suggestions (possibly Id and Value). So something like this: 

Filter('Note Sub Types', 'Parent Category'.Value = CategoryDataCardValue.Selected.Value)

Let me know if this works. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Microsoft Business Applications MVP

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,485)