cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper II
Helper II

Cascading Drop downs from multiple sources that update and write to a sharepoint list

After a bit of a struggle, I have been able to connect 2 Sharepoint source lists to a "live" SharePoint, incremental list that grows as data is added.

However, I am losing the will to live as understanding (in plain english) how to update the live list from the selected drop downs. I have used this formula and have seen similar formulas and have the top part seemingly populating correctly.

• {‘@odata.type’ : “#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference”, Id:JobPositionDropdown.Selected.ID, Value:JobPositionDropdown.Selected.Title }

If you take it as 3 parts, what are the 2nd two parts doing ? In my mind (in plain speak), we are tyring to send a valu.e from the Drop down to a "receiving" value in the incremental list....

1. Id:JobPositionDropdown.Selected.ID, 
  2. Value:JobPositionDropdown.Selected.Title }

Ok, so taking 1 & 2 what is the relevance of Id: in 1? Is it a label or what?

What is binding what to what? I also seem to have disspearing "update" field in the datacard so had just been writing in the title? 

4Capture.JPG

Can anyone just explain what 1 & 2 are doing? i.e is it binding at ID level? Is the code at datacard level and so on?

Grateful for any advice...

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

If ddActionOwner is a control using a SP complex field type then I think you can get by with a simpler formula in your screenshot. Try using just "ddActionOwner.Selected"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Jeff Hi - Does that then "write" and update the value into the incremental SharePoint list?

DDActionOwner is a "name" selected from a defined cascading list, which all works.....but this is actually to say, Ok, I went through cascacading menus/drop downs, but now I want to use that final value and save it.....

5Capture.JPG

Hi @ianf1969 

Id - relates to the internal ID column in SharePoint

and Value is the text value associated with the reference to the lookup column

You could also use 

LookUp(
        Choices(DataSource.LookupColumnName),
        ID= DDActionOwner.Selected.ID )

Reference

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/default-values-for-complex-sharepoint-types/

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

This is all I am trying to do - So are we saying that Id (as per example off the web) is the [ID] field . Is this needed every time? I dont understand the breakdown of the code for the formula. If I understand it, that will help my understanding of where any errors lie etc.6Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (53,067)