cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonykiefer
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Cascading Dropdowns are not displaying complete list of entries

I'm building a form that has a section of Dropdown lists that should be Cascading Dropdowns.  The data in each dropdown is populated from a SQL table.  I don't think this is a usual scenario and I'm having some trouble.  

First let me say the db design might not be the best but it's what I have to work with and it gets updated regularly so I have to keep it.  The table that should drive the cascading dropdowns is...

Care Instruction Table.jpg

I made some highlights for reference as I move on.

The form looks like this...

FormView Cascading Dropdowns.jpg

The first dropdown("Care Instruction Code") drives the population of the cascading lists and is a list of the USR_EPI_CL_CODEs(as highlighted above).  Each code has any combination of supporting codes/columns (USR_AX_PREP_CODE, USR_AX_DRYCLEAN_CODE, USR_AX_BLEACH_CODE...).

The supporting code column names are references to the associated table name that will contain entries for the next dropdown.  So depending on which USR_EPI_CL_CODE is chosen...the following dropdown lists should be populated by the reference table and the Code is the reference for the highlighted suggested entry.  

Also...in this example of the BackPack...if a supporting column does not have a reference code...the dropdown list should still be populated but without a highlighted suggested entry.

In this example the Care Instruction Code dropdown is set to "Backpack".  The USR_AX_PREP_CODE for backpack is 14.

The Care Preparation table (named USR_WASH_PREP) is...

WashPrep.jpg

The issue I am having is the Cascading dropdown list are only showing the suggested value and not the entire USR_Description list.

Cascading List - no list.jpg

The Care Preparation data card is setup up as...

Care Prep Data Card.jpg

The Care Preparation dropdown is setup as... 

Care Prep Dropdown Setup.jpg

Also...In the event the end user chooses a different selection other than the suggested entry...after update the form should show the user selected value.

Essentially, the cascading dropdowns should show the list of possible entries with the suggested value AND IF the end user changes the value, update, then the list should show the user entered values in combination with any default suggested entries which were not changed. 

To show the default user value I would use something like this in the default property "LookUp(USR_WASH_PREP,USR_CODE=Parent.Default,USR_DESCRIPTION)"

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS FUNCTIONALITY IS POSSIBLE?

I need another pair of eyes.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

@tonykiefer , cascading dropdowns filter the items shown in the dropdown based on a value select in another field. You can default which item is selected in a dropdown by using the default property. It sounds like you want all the items to be listed in the dropdown and have some of them highlighted as a recommendation but not selected. Unfortunately that isn't how dropdowns work. The item highlighted in a dropdown is the selected item.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

A cascading dropdown filters down the available items that will appear in the dropdown based on a value from another field. If the filter formula only returns one item like in the case above then the user will only have one item to choose from. It appears that the cascading dropdown is working as designed. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi @Jeff_Thorpe,

Thank you for the reply...

Is there a way to retrieve the entire list and have the suggested item highlighted?

Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

It sounds like what you want to do is have the full list in the dropdown but have it default to a specific value based on a previous selection. You could take a look at writing a formula in the Default property to default the selection to certain value based on the previous selection.

tonykiefer
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi @Jeff_Thorpe...my apologies but that is not what I want.  The description above is exactly what I am trying to do.  The dropdowns are meant to be cascading with the suggested item highlighted.  At some point the end user may change that item on the edit screen.  Currently, only the suggested item is appearing in the dropdown.  A dropdown is useless if it does not contain the list.  I'm asking for help to solve why the rest of the list does not populate.

tonykiefer
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

@WarrenBelz can you put eyes on this and tell me what you think?

@tonykiefer ,

Sorry, not currently with a read that big to get my mind around - I am sure @Jeff_Thorpe is more than capable of carrying on and he has already spent the time trying to help you.

Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

@tonykiefer , cascading dropdowns filter the items shown in the dropdown based on a value select in another field. You can default which item is selected in a dropdown by using the default property. It sounds like you want all the items to be listed in the dropdown and have some of them highlighted as a recommendation but not selected. Unfortunately that isn't how dropdowns work. The item highlighted in a dropdown is the selected item.

View solution in original post

tonykiefer
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi Jeff,

Honestly...I thought that was going to be the case.  This is an especially difficult feature I'm try to implement for several reasons.

1.  The dropdown should show the list of available options with a highlighted suggested entry.

2.  If a different entry is used then that entry should be highlighted.

3.  The reference table used does not come equipped with a FK.

Do you have any idea if a feature like this can be developed in Powerapps?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,147)