cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cascading Dropdowns within a PowerApps EDIT form using SharePoint Lists and Lookups

I have 3 SharePoint Lists:

Outcomes - Contains just the Title Field

Courses -  Contains Course Name field and a lookup field that accepts multiple values (Outcomes, Title Field)

Assessment Form

My Assessment form contains an Outcome look up field and a Courses Lookup field. When you select an Outcome from the dropdown in InfoPath, any course that contains that Outcome is available for selection in the Course field (Outcomes can have many courses):

Dropdown11.jpg

For my PowerApp EDIT form, I'm not sure what formula to use to replicate the cascading done in InfoPath. Help!! 🙂 

PAForm.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
seadude
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello!

This is fairly straightforward to accomplish. This is off the top of my head, but its something to the degree of:

1. Delete the dropdown in the original data card
  2. Add a new one
  3. Set its default value to something like:
ShowColumns(
    Lookup(
        otherTable,
            otherTableColumn = firstTable.Selected.Value),
    "otherTableColumn"
)

You can also hack it with:

First( 
    Lookup(
        otherTable,
            otherTableColumn = firstTable.Selected.Value).otherTableColumn

Play around and let us know what you settle on!

Cheers!

seadude
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

And of course, when all else fails...ask Shane Young (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZG2boN7jQ)!

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I found that you have post same thread within the forum, please check the following thread:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Casading-dropdown-with-2-SharePoint-Lists/m-p/169923/highlight/false#M56863

Please check and see my response to your issue within above thread, then check if the issue is solved.

Within your Edit form, set the Items property of the first Dropdown (OutcomeChoice) to following:

Outcomes.Title    /* Outcomes represents your Outcomes SP list*/

Set the Items property of the second Dropdown (NSUCourse) to following formula:

Filter(
    CoursesList,    /* <-- The CoursesList represents the Courses SP list */
    {
        Value: Dropdown1.Selected.Value   /* <-- The Dropdown1 represents the first Dropdown (OutcomeChoice) */
    } 
    in Outcome.Value
).Course_x0020_Name

If you have solved your problem, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This doesn't appear to work for me because then I lose my dropdown list for some reason

Mayurs05

Try this,

CountIf(DataCardValue.SelectedItems,Value="Selection Required")>0

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events that are happening this month - don't miss out!

Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,158)