Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Cascading dropdown field value not getting saved to SharePoint list

Hello All,

I have created 2 SharePoint list -

• MasterData
  • Status

"MasterData" list contains all my working data. In this MasterData list I have created "Status" column and "DetailedStatus" Column as choice fields with drop-down menu option selected.

"Status" list, contains 2 columns - "Status" and "DetailedStatus"

In my powerapps, Gallery1 is linked to MasterData. On clicking item in Gallery1, it redirects to Viewform page where View form property is set as "Gallery1.selected" which showcases data based on details mentioned in MasterData list. I have created a edit button on this Viewform page which redirects the user to EditForm page. Edit form property is also selected as "Gallery1.selected".

Using Shane Young video on Youtube to create cascading dropdown, I created a dependant dropdown for DetailedStatus column based on Status value. Basically I deleted the DetailedStatus DataCardValue and added a ComboBox1. Formula for DetailedStatus ComboBox1 is as follows - 

Distinct(Filter('Status',Status = DataCardValue40.Selected.Value),DetailedStatus)

DataCardValue40 represent Status DataCardValue. I have changed "DetailedStatusDataCard" update field ComboBox1.Selected. On clicking save button, following formula get executed

SubmitForm(EditForm); Back();Notify("Changes updated successfully",NotificationType.Success)

But here the value selected in ComboBox1 is not getting saved. If I try to click save multiple times, it is somehow saving random dropdown values for other listbox in the form but the ComboBox1 field is always blank. Cascading dropdown works but guess the EditForm data is not getting saved to MasterData list.

Can someone help here please?

Thanks,

AKB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Are the "Status" column and "DetailedStatus" both Choice type columns in your "MasterData" list?

Do you want to save the ComboBox1 Seletced value back to the "DetailedStatus" column in your "MasterData" list?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think there is something wrong with the formula you typed within the Update property of the "DetailedStatus" Data card in your Edit form.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Set the Update property of the "DetailedStatus" Data card in your Edit form to following formula:

{
  Value: ComboBox1.Selected.Result      /* <-- ComboBox1 represents DetailedStatus ComboBox */
}

Please consider take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Also please check and see if the following blog would also help in your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/default-values-for-complex-sharepoint-types/?utm_source=p...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Are the "Status" column and "DetailedStatus" both Choice type columns in your "MasterData" list?

Do you want to save the ComboBox1 Seletced value back to the "DetailedStatus" column in your "MasterData" list?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think there is something wrong with the formula you typed within the Update property of the "DetailedStatus" Data card in your Edit form.

Set the Update property of the "DetailedStatus" Data card in your Edit form to following formula:

{
  Value: ComboBox1.Selected.Result      /* <-- ComboBox1 represents DetailedStatus ComboBox */
}

Also please check and see if the following blog would also help in your scenario:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/default-values-for-complex-sharepoint-types/?utm_source=p...

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@v-xida-msft wrote:

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Correct

Correct

{
}

Wow. This solved it. Thanks a lot!!

Best regards,

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved your problem, please go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify my solution is helpful.

Best regards,

Hi @AKB_2K ,

Have you solved your problem?

Is the solution I provided above helpful for you?

If you have solved your problem, please go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

I was trying to do that yesterday but unfortunately I was continuosly getting this error on clicking "Accept as Solution" button - "The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again.".

Fortunately it worked today!! Thanks for your help.

Having same issue. Can't save customized datacards to a SharePoint list despite the fact that Update property is still set. I tried the proposed solution here and ended up with Invalid Data Source/Not a valid connector error. Can't submit form at all with that mod to the Update property. Is there really no way to save a customized data card value to a list?

That solution worked for the first dropdown (it saved to my text field in my SP list), but the dependent dropdown (Agency) did not save the value to my SP list field.

My scenario:

2 list:

• main data list (text fields for Customer and Agency results)
  • list for the two dropdown fields (Customer and Agency)

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

Kim

@kmw1130

I ran into this issue as well. I ended up doing away with any kind of data connection on my filter value dropdown and just typed the values I needed in there directly. Not ideal in the case of frequent changes, but it works. In my scenario, my users want to first select from a dropdown of Department names. This field value would not save to SharePoint no matter what I tried -- UNTIL I hardcoded the values in the Items property like so:

departments.png

When they choose a department, they want the next field, "Procedure" to filter based on the Department selection.

So the next step is to look at the Procedure dropdown card: 

Unlock the datacard, then delete the dropdown control inside.

Re-add a new dropdown control and set the Items property of the control (NOT the card) to:

Filter(Procedures, Department = DataCardValue4.Selected.Result)

In this example, my Department field is named DataCardValue4. So I want the procedures dropdown to filter on the Selected.Result of DataCardValue4. Note that it's not getting values from a choice field. It's looking at my reference list, also named "Procedures", that maps Department values to Procedure values. 

Like you, I thought that my Department field could/should just be looking at the same reference list. But I found that while that worked in the form interface, the Department value would never save to SharePoint. So that's why I eventually ended up hardcoding the Department values in the Items property (as shown above). 

procedures.png

You can type in this formula, or you can configure it through the "Depends on…" feature of the dropdown properties:

depends.png

depends-2.png

NOTE: Make sure you set the Value correctly as well. It will default to some other column, like Compliance Asset ID, which is not what you want to show in this drop-down!

Finally, make sure you set the Update property of the data card to be the new drop-down control selection:

procedures-update.png

@RachelRig My problem is the first dropdown saves, but the 2nd dropdown that depends on the first value doesn't.  Do you suggest I still hard code the first dropdown for the 2nd one to save?  The 1st dropdown would have the less to hard code.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,925)