Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Cascading dropdown on a lookup column

Hello,

I'm sure this has been posted before but I've not been able to follow any of the threads to get this to work. 

I have a SharePoint custom form that I've created in PowerApps. In it, I have 2 look up fields(combo boxes); State Lookup and Hotel Name New. These are looking up to a list called 'Master Property List'

Formula for Items on "State Look Up" is currently:

Sort(Distinct(Choices('HAFS US OTC Help Desk Ticket Log'.'State Lookup'),Value),Result)

I want to have the drop down for "Hotel Name New" function as a cascading drop down and only show values when the "State Lookup" selected value/result? is equal to "State" in the 'Master Property List'. I've tried a thousand different formula combinations for this and have had no success so far. Thank you so much for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Cascading dropdown on a lookup column

Hi @CarlHRVA
I am assuming your code below produces a valid result when providing a possible solution.
Your first dropdown (I will call it StateLookup) has the Items property

Sort(
   Distinct(
      Choices(
         'HAFS US OTC Help Desk Ticket Log'.'State Lookup'
      ),
      Value
   ),
   Result
)

I am wondering why a Choices field needs a Distinct filter, however the output of this should be<

StateLookup.Selected.Result

You now want to filter a further lookup when this output is equal to State in the list 'Master Property List'
So the Items property of this gallery should be

Filter(
   'Master Property List'
   State = StateLookup.Selected.Result
)
.State

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @CarlHRVA
I am assuming your code below produces a valid result when providing a possible solution.
Your first dropdown (I will call it StateLookup) has the Items property

Sort(
   Distinct(
      Choices(
         'HAFS US OTC Help Desk Ticket Log'.'State Lookup'
      ),
      Value
   ),
   Result
)

I am wondering why a Choices field needs a Distinct filter, however the output of this should be<

StateLookup.Selected.Result

You now want to filter a further lookup when this output is equal to State in the list 'Master Property List'
So the Items property of this gallery should be

Filter(
   'Master Property List'
   State = StateLookup.Selected.Result
)
.State

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Thanks for responding @WarrenBelz . The state look up is distinct because there are multiple values for the state in the look up column and I only want to show one per state. Unfortunately, this formula didn't work for me. Also, in my first formula I'm referencing the look up column in the ticket log and in the second formula I'm referencing the Master Property List directly, is this correct? Here is the error I'm getting using the formula:

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @CarlHRVA ,

I just used StateLookup as I did not know the name of your ComboBox/DropDown control - just replace this with the actual name.

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

@WarrenBelzit actually is the name of the look up column in the previous step it just has a space in it😂 The field was missing the space in the formula before but still getting the same error:

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @CarlHRVA ,

You need the name of the ComboBox control, not the field name.

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

@WarrenBelzOh, I'm an idiot. It was DataCardValue20. The formula works now but the data it's returning should be Hotel Name. I made this small adjustment and it seems to work now! Thank you so much

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,549)