cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Waveflux
Frequent Visitor

Change the App ID

Hi,

I'm developing a Canvas App, and I am NOT an administrator, nor do I have a relationship with the administrator where I can easily contact them and have them update an app.

My question is, is it possible to import an app, and have it replace an existing app while maintaining the existing app ID and URL?

I'd like to set up a test app that I can publish and test out new features with a small group of users, and then publish that to the "Production" environment app after the test app has been debugged.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Waveflux 

You will not be able to do that with "replacing" an existing app.

What I recommend is that you continue to design the app that is in production - Do Not publish it until you are ready to really publish.

To Test it at any point, just save-as the app to a different name and provide that app to your testers.  If they flush out things that need to be addressed, then make those changes in the original and save-as another app in order to further test.  

When it's all done, just publish the app and the users will not need to do anything else.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Waveflux 

You will not be able to do that with "replacing" an existing app.

What I recommend is that you continue to design the app that is in production - Do Not publish it until you are ready to really publish.

To Test it at any point, just save-as the app to a different name and provide that app to your testers.  If they flush out things that need to be addressed, then make those changes in the original and save-as another app in order to further test.  

When it's all done, just publish the app and the users will not need to do anything else.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

CNT
Super User
Super User

@Waveflux If you have a "Production" environment, I believe you would also have a "Dev" environment. You can develop the App there and give the URL of that App to your testers. When it is all done, Create a solution and add this App to that solution, publish and export/import it into the "Production" environment. Give the URL of that App in production to the Real Users. When the real users are using the App, you can continue to make changes or enhancements to your App in "Dev" and go over the same process again and agsin to get it across to users. This is called ALM (Application Life-Cycle Management). Hope this helps.

Thanks Randy!  I will do this.  Thank you, it seems so obvious I don't know how I didn't think of it.

Waveflux
Frequent Visitor

I appreciate the response, however, the way the organization is set up and my permissions, I only have access to one environment, so I don't have the ability to differentiate between a "dev" environment and a "production" environment.

@Waveflux 

Yes, it works well.  You just have to make sure you're not in the habit of hitting Publish every time you save your app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

<
Users online (2,790)