cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djoel
Level: Powered On

Changing Data connection from DEV SharePoint list to PROD SharePoint list breaks app

In developing my PowerApp, I have a Dev version connected to a Dev SharePoint list.  When I export the app from my Dev to my Prod environment, I need to change the connection to my Prod SharePoint list.  The lists are identical; however, my app no longer works when I change the connection from Dev to Prod.  Specifically, the edit form doesn't populate with the data associated with the selected ID.  If I add a new edit form to the app and connect that new form to the Prod data, it functions as expected. 

Has anyone else experienced this same behavior?  How can I create an app in a Dev environment and deploy it to Prod using a different data source?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
djoel

Re: Changing Data connection from DEV SharePoint list to PROD SharePoint list breaks app

Thank you for the response.  It appears I was following a red herring after all.  After submitting this request, I decided to start over from the point where I imported the app into my test environment.  This time, when I changed the data source, it worked.  I am chalking this one up to PowerApps anomalies.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
K-A-R-L
Level 10

Re: Changing Data connection from DEV SharePoint list to PROD SharePoint list breaks app

Hi @djoel ,

Can you please make sure you've published the app before exporting? It will only export the last published version of the app.

Cheers

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @djoel ,

Do you mean that the Edit form do not recognize the same SP List from your Prod environment?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderatanding on the connections in PowerApps. Actually, when you create a connection to your SP List from your app, a unique Connection ID would be generated and saved within the created connection.

Each connection you created in your app would have a unique Connection ID. The connection use the generated Connection ID to get the corresponding access token from app memory, then the connection could call corresponding service along with the access token.

So the connection you created in your Dev environment is not same as that in your Prod environment (They have different Connection ID), even though, the connection has same name.

On your side, please consider remove the previous connection from your Edit form, then re-bind it to the new created connection in your Prod environment, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
djoel

Thank you for the response.  It appears I was following a red herring after all.  After submitting this request, I decided to start over from the point where I imported the app into my test environment.  This time, when I changed the data source, it worked.  I am chalking this one up to PowerApps anomalies.

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @djoel ,

Currently, within PowerApps, it is an known issue that when deploying an app from one environment to another environment, the connection you created in previous environment would be invalid, enen though, the connection in Target environment has same name as that in your source environment.

Note: Currently, PowerApps could not recognize the same connection name created in different environments.

As an fixed solution, you must re-create a new connection within your Target environment, and then re-bind your data forms to the new created connection.

If you would like this feature to be improved, please consider submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,854)